Happy Valentine's Day! I'm so excited for today because not only is it Valentine's Day but it's also my Aunt Esther's 95th birthday! We had her party last night and I made a delicious chocolate cake topped with fresh strawberry frosting. It was delicious!
Speaking of strawberries, did you know that it's easy to add flavor and nutrition to some of your favorite foods with Fresh from Florida Strawberries? Just 8 medium strawberries equal your daily requirement of vitamin C. Since I can eat an entire bowl of strawberries in one sitting this is good news for me!
Since today is Valentine's Day I wanted to make a special breakfast for my husband to celebrate. We've been trying to eat healthier meals so I wanted to make something that we love but make it a bit more nutritious. One of our favorite breakfasts is coffee cake. We love this sweet breakfast food with a cup of coffee in the morning.
To make it a little more appropriate for Valentine's Day and to add a few essential nutrients and powerful antioxidants I decided to make strawberry coffee cake! I thought sweet Florida Strawberries would be delicious in a breakfast coffee cake. I also swapped out some of the butter for Greek yogurt to help make it a little bit better for us.
As I prepped the coffee cake in the kitchen I started chopping the strawberries. I put everything into the pan and popped it in the oven. I admit I then turned back to my chopping station and popped a few Florida Strawberries directly into my mouth. I had to keep up my strength for all the baking and cooking I planned on doing!
When I pulled the coffee cake out of the oven it was super hard to allow it to cool before we gobbled it down. I let it cool for 25 minutes and then drizzled a glaze over top of it. Since you can never have too many strawberries, I cut the remaining strawberries in half and put them on top of the coffee cake. It was almost too pretty to eat!
This turned out to be a healthy and delicious Valentine's Day breakfast. All of the sweetness and spices of the classic coffee cake were in this dish plus the addition of the sweet Florida strawberries. I'm fairly certain strawberries and coffee cake are the perfect pairing in the morning. I served it up with two piping hot cups of coffee and my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast together. Make sure you make this recipe for your sweetheart or family soon!
Dreaming of making this Strawberry Coffee cake? The great thing about Florida Strawberries is that they are in season now so you can have this healthy and nutritious fruit today! Want to learn more about Florida Strawberries? Check them out on Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Website and then visit Strawberry Sue on Twitter | YouTube | Website
For the cake:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 c. Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 c. Florida strawberries, chopped
For the topping:
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- ¼ c. oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the glaze:
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Florida Strawberries, cut in half
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl cream the sugar, brown sugar, and butter until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and mix until combined. Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the Greek yogurt and mix well. Add in the remaining flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Fold the strawberries into the coffee cake mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the topping. Use your fingers to mix the butter into the other ingredients until a crumb mixture forms. Sprinkle over top of the cake.
- Bake for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the ingredients for the cinnamon glaze. Pour into a zip top bag, snip off the end and drizzle over top of the cake.
- Cut into 12 pieces and top each piece with half of a strawberry.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
- Sparkling Strawberry Sangria from Family Foodie
- Strawberry-Basil Spritzer from Eat Picks
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake from Ruffles & Truffles
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Strawberry Banana Hazelnut Crepes from The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Herbed Strawberry Salad from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Waldorf Salad from Food Done Light
- Balsamic Strawberry Walnut Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil from Soni's Food
- Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee's Kitchen Adventures
Plus: Nutritious Fresh Strawberry Recipes plus Strawberry Almond Milk from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement