Happy Valentine's Day! I'm so excited for today because not only is it Valentine's Day but it's also my Aunt Esther's 95th birthday! We had her party last night and I made a delicious chocolate cake topped with fresh strawberry frosting. It was delicious!
Since today is Valentine's Day I wanted to make a special breakfast for my husband to celebrate. We've been trying to eat healthier meals so I wanted to make something that we love but make it a bit more nutritious. One of our favorite breakfasts is coffee cake. We love this sweet breakfast food with a cup of coffee in the morning.
To make it a little more appropriate for Valentine's Day and to add a few essential nutrients and powerful antioxidants I decided to make strawberry coffee cake! I thought sweet Florida Strawberries would be delicious in a breakfast coffee cake. I also swapped out some of the butter for Greek yogurt to help make it a little bit better for us.
As I prepped the coffee cake in the kitchen I started chopping the strawberries. I put everything into the pan and popped it in the oven. I admit I then turned back to my chopping station and popped a few Florida Strawberries directly into my mouth. I had to keep up my strength for all the baking and cooking I planned on doing!
When I pulled the coffee cake out of the oven it was super hard to allow it to cool before we gobbled it down. I let it cool for 25 minutes and then drizzled a glaze over top of it. Since you can never have too many strawberries, I cut the remaining strawberries in half and put them on top of the coffee cake. It was almost too pretty to eat!
This turned out to be a healthy and delicious Valentine's Day breakfast. All of the sweetness and spices of the classic coffee cake were in this dish plus the addition of the sweet Florida strawberries. I'm fairly certain strawberries and coffee cake are the perfect pairing in the morning. I served it up with two piping hot cups of coffee and my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast together. Make sure you make this recipe for your sweetheart or family soon!
Dreaming of making this Strawberry Coffee cake? The great thing about Florida Strawberries is that they are in season now so you can have this healthy and nutritious fruit today!
For the cake:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 c. Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 c. Florida strawberries, chopped
For the topping:
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- ¼ c. oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the glaze:
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Florida Strawberries, cut in half
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl cream the sugar, brown sugar, and butter until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and mix until combined. Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the Greek yogurt and mix well. Add in the remaining flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Fold the strawberries into the coffee cake mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the topping. Use your fingers to mix the butter into the other ingredients until a crumb mixture forms. Sprinkle over top of the cake.
- Bake for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the ingredients for the cinnamon glaze. Pour into a zip top bag, snip off the end and drizzle over top of the cake.
- Cut into 12 pieces and top each piece with half of a strawberry.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association. All opinions are my own.
More Great Strawberry Recipes:
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee's Kitchen Adventures