It's my 4 year blogiversary! Can you believe that I'm been blogging at Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks for 4 years? I can't! My blog has grown so much in the past 4 years. I started out with a tiny point and shoot camera and didn't really know what I was doing. Since then I've gotten a DSLR camera, several lenses, editing software, and a camera with a decent phone. It's been a fabulous journey and has really turned me into a much better cook. I look forward to celebrating four more years and today I'm going to share with you a delicious cake from one of my favorite cooking shows.
Every Saturday morning when I wake up I turn on the TV. This is totally different from my weekday routine where the TV doesn't come on until I'm home from work. On Saturdays, the TV goes on and I go right to the MPT (Maryland Public Television) station to see what is on TV. My absolute favorite shows to watch on Saturday are the cooking shows that are on from 1:30-4:00 on MPT. They are only on maybe twice a month but I totally love them. I can sit and watch for 2 ½ hours and be totally inspired.
I get more work done on my blog in those 2 ½ hours then I do most of the week. My two favorite shows, and the ones my husband loves to watch as well are Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen. They are both shows out of America's Test Kitchen. This same company puts out Cook's Illustrated which is my go to online recipe site. I have never made a recipe from ATK that hasn't worked. They are always delicious and they always turn out.
So when I was watching America's Test Kitchen last week they made a Strawberry Dream Cake. I'm not talking about the cake that's made with Whipped Cream and strawberries. This is a real dream cake. The cake is made with juice from the strawberries, then the frosting is made with the strawberry solids. I have the problem that every time I make strawberry frosting it curdles. I hate to make it because of this.
I'm happy to report that ATK has solved this problem for me! By taking the liquids out of the strawberries and then adding them to the frosting, it prevents it from curdling! This alone makes this cake worth making. In addition to the yummy strawberry cream cheese frosting, there's a layer of fresh strawberries in the middle. The entire cake tastes of fresh strawberries and is totally delicious.
I made the cake to take to dinner at a friends house. This cake almost didn't happen as the night before our power went out and stayed out for 18 hours. In the morning I had to throw away most of what was in our refrigerator but I was determined to make the cake. I went to the store, got the ingredients, and got baking. The entire process was easy to follow and went off without a hitch. The only problem I had was that the frosting was really soft. I was able to put the entire cake into the refrigerator for an hour before we left and it really helped to firm it up.
The cake itself has a light strawberry flavor and is firm enough to hold up to the soft frosting. The frosting is simply bursting with fresh strawberry flavor. I also liked that the frosting isn't overly sweet. It has a great balance of sweet and creamy going on. This cake not only tastes amazing but it looks great as well. Definitely a special occasion cake.
Strawberry Dream Cake
A delicious strawberry vanilla cake topped with a strawberry cream cheese frosting.
For the cake:
- 2 c. frozen whole strawberries (12 oz)
- ¾ c. milk (I used 2%)
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ½ c. flour
- 1 ¾ c. sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the Frosting:
- 10 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ¼ c. powdered sugar
- 10 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Place the frozen strawberries in a bowl and cover. Microwave for 5 minutes or until the strawberries are soft and releasing their juices.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a saucepan and press the strawberries through, reserving the solids.
- You will have about ½ cup to ¾ cup of juice in the pan. Bring the juice to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the juice is syrupy and has reduced to ¼ cup.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the milk. Add the egg whites to the mixture, one at a time, whisking until combined. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and mix until pea sized pieces remain.
- Add half of the strawberry milk mixture to the flour mixture and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the remaining milk mixture and beat until well combined.
- Divide the batter into the two prepared pans and place in the oven. Cook for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge of the pan then remove the cakes and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To make the frosting beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed, until well combined. Add in the cream cheese, a little at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add in the strawberry solids and mix until well combined.
- Place the strawberries on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry with another paper towel.
- Place one cake layer on a round cake board and spread ¾ cup of frosting on top. Spread until smooth. Press the dried strawberry slices into the frosting and then gently cover with ⅓ cup of frosting.
- Place the other layer on top of the strawberries. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Source: Slightly adapted from America's Test Kitchen
I'm new here. I'm going to make your baked donuts with glaze. Happy Blogiversary! Thank you for the wonderful giveaway 🙂
My favorite recipe is the Buffalo Chicken Pizza
The Orange Creamsicle Fruit Dip is my favorite.
The Strawberry Dream Cake looks amazing! My favorite recipe has to be the Blueberry Zucchini Bread. My kids will love it!
I would love to try the baked quinoa and chicken parm tho the cake recipe above looks delish!
The Short Ribs with Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce sounds really good.
Pork Barbacoa Tacos are my favorite! they are so yummy and super fun and easy to make!
I've always had a problem with the crust on my fruit pizza. Either it's too hard to bite into or it's too soft to eat as finger food. Your crust is just right! So, that's my favorite recipe of yours... so far!
The Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies!! Yummy.
The bacon and blue cheese dip recipe is my favorite.
Peppermint bark Cookies! Yum!
The Peppermint bark cookies look so good!!
I am so glad that I just found and followed Your blog. I love all recipes from here, especially the Vietnamese Caramel Pork recipe, but I think I would try all of them soon!
Thank You So Much
I like Alton Brown's Soft Pretzel recipe.
I like Farm Fresh Vegetable Quiche recipe.
The spiced Bundt cake!
So many the strawberry dream cake looks great and so does the chocolate covered brownie bottom cheesecake
I love love love the White Chocolate Fruit Dip! In fact, I eat way too much of it!
My favorite so far is this cake and Crock-Pot Stuffed Peppers
I'm going to try the Strawberry Dream Cake. I watch ATK on the weekends too but rarely am I inspired lol!
this might be my new favorite, but otherwise I love your brie en croute - I omit the jam because I'm a weirdo who prefers none (and, since i'm the one who introduced it to my fiance, he's never had it with fruit before so doesn't know to look for it)!
I'll be honest, I actually prefer it without the jam too but everyone who eats it with me likes the jam so I always make it with it.
I love the recipe for Mom’s Famous Chicken Ball!
=the Pizza Stuffed Pretzels recipe sounds awesome
It's such a great recipe! Kids love it as a snack or even as part of dinner!
I am currently obsessed with avocados. My favorite recipe is ROASTED CORN AND AVOCADO SALAD.
My favorite would be the Peppermint Bark Cookies
Mary Beth Elderton
This strawberry cake looks absolutely delicious! My favorite is not really a single recipe but the collection of freezer meals. When I visit my extremely busy son and DIL I leave variations of those for them.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikki Masala
I like your Lemon Roulade!
🙂 Congrats! I would have to say I would love to try the buffalo chicken pizza. It looks A M A Z I N G.
I like the Baked Zucchini Sticks
I love the LEMON BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES WITH LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING, but the Hummus Vegetable Wrap is a close second.
My favorite recipe is the Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Chocolate Glaze!
My favorite is your Spicy Chicken in Garlic-Lime Broth!
My favorite recipe is the Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips.
Right now the strawberry cake is my favorite... looks amazing.
Strawberry cake sounds pretty darn good!
My favorite recipe is for the Baked Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
I would have to say the Pizza stuffed pretzels - yum!!
I like the Chocolate Covered Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
I'm gonna try the https://www.hezzi-dsbooksandcooks.com/2012/08/spiked-cherry-lemonade-foodbuzz.html
The chocolate covered brownie bottom cheesecake! heaven!!
My favorite is the recipe for Baked Jalapeno Mozzarella Sticks. We make them the same way you do, with the cheese sticks. The only problem is that we don't have jalapeno cheese sticks in our area, so we will improvise with jalapeno jack and cut it ourselves.
I'm liking this strawberry cake. I think it's going to be made vveeery soon here!
EMPANADAS FOR DARING BAKERS is my favorite recipe!! Yummy!!!
BAKED QUINOA AND CHICKEN PARMESAN - i had been looking for a new type of quinoa recipie and this was amazing!
My favorite recipe is the Caramel Glazed Apple Bundt Cake with a Cream Cheese Stripe.
I really love the Pizza Stuffed Pretzels recipe. cant go wrong with these in our family!!!! yum
My favorite recipe would have to be the pumpkin spice donuts with chocolate glaze.
I love the White Chocolate Fruit Dip!
LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipes! Can't wait to try the Strawberry Dream Cake 🙂
I have to say my favorite is the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. My sister said it is THE best jam she's ever had! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
Congrats on 4 years! Here's to many more!
I like your Pizza Stuffed Pretzels recipe.
I love your Slow Cooker Chicken Tikki Masala but this strawberry cake may give it a run for its money
Eva @ Eva Bakes
Peppermint bark cookies - I still need to make them!
I love the bacon chopped salad with strawberry poppyseed dressing recipe the most.
That's a tough question because you have a ton and I've tried many and loved them all! I think my favorite at the moment is this strawberry cake lol. No i haven't tried it but i can't stop thinking about it now.