To say I am not a fan of sweet potatoes is an understatement. I'm not even sure I can call the sweet potato a potato. I am totally, completely in love with regular potatoes and eat them frequently. I just can't get over the sweetness of the sweet potato. I've tried sweet potato fries, tater tots, and even a stuffed sweet potato but I didn't enjoy any of them.
A quick funny story. In an effort to have healthier school lunches our cafeteria started serving sweet potato tots. None of the kids would eat them so I decided to take one for the team and get some to try. I figured even if I didn't like them, I'd eat them and show the kids they weren't that bad. The lunch ladies were thrilled. I took my first bite and almost gagged. They were soggy and horrible! I managed to eat a second one but had to throw the rest away. Total teacher fail.
So late this summer we went to a friends house. He was cooking us dinner and my husband and I were very excited. While he was preparing dinner he told us he was making his sweet potato fries as an appetizer. My husband and I gave each other a look, knowing that neither of us enjoy sweet potatoes. Since we were at a guests house we would both take a handful and pretend to enjoy them.
As they came out of the fryer, they actually looked pretty good. I tentatively took a first bite and was surprised. i took another bite and actually smiled. They were delicious! I handed my husband one, told him it was good, and he skeptically took a bite. He had the same reaction, actually enjoying the fries. So this week for Sunday Supper's Unprocessed theme, I decided to make these delicious sweet potato fries.
We ended up eating a ton of these sweet potato fries. They were so crispy and delicious with just a small sprinkle of salt. In fact, we liked them so much that I made them for dinner the next week. Thanks to Randy for showing both my husband and I that we actually DO like sweet potatoes!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 c. vegetable oil
- sea salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into very thin sticks. Each sweet potato should make about 40 potato sticks.
- Place the oil in the bottom of a deep saucepan. Heat until a thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Add about 20 fries to the oil. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes on one side and then flip. Cook for 1-3 minutes on the other side, just until they begin to brown.
- Remove the fries with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
- Brioche Dinner Rolls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Stuffed Peppadew Peppers by An Appealing Plan
- Homemade Fennel-Maple Mustard by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sweet Potato Noodles & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Whole Grain, No-Knead Sourdough Bread by Peaceful Cooking
- Sweet Potato Fries by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Indian Spiced Dal and Sag Aloo by Happy Baking Days
- Homemade Energy Bars by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Thyme Chicken by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Hash by Fit Foodie Runs
- Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Cardamom and Maple Syrup by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Spicy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes by Magnolia Days
- Autumn Panzanella by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Curried Apple Chips by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Rhubarb and Honey
- Homemade Hash Brown by Basic N Delicious
- Raw Salted Chocolate Chip Oat Healthy Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Beet Chips by The Dinner-Mom
- Crispy Tex-Mex Quinoa Patties by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Authentic Chicken Tinga by Shockingly Delicious
- Jacket Potato Party by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Mom's Homemade Vegetarian Meatballs by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Chicken and Sweet Potato by MealDiva
- Chinese Five Spice Chicken Stir Fry by Nosh My Way
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili by Amee's Savory Dish
- Coconut Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dip by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula by Cooking Chat
- Baked Zucchini with Spicy Tomatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Fall Squash Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Momma's Meals
- White Bean Pesto Stew by eating in instead
- Seared Pork Stack by annaDishes
- Gnocchi with Peas and Pesto by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin & Sausage Pasta by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Raw Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Vegan Mini Chocolate Cream Cakes by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.