This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar and Divine Chocolate but all opinions are 100% my own.
Chocolate cupcakes studded with chocolate chips then topped off with rich chocolate buttercream and finished off with a chocolate caramel truffle.
Today I'm sharing a recipe for Triple Chocolate Cupcakes. These cupcakes start with a rich, chocolate cupcake that is made with Divine Chocolate cocoa powder and Imperial Sugar. In addition to the cocoa powder I put chocolate chips in the batter as well because who doesn't love chocolate chips?
Once these cupcakes came out of the oven I topped them with a rich chocolate buttercream frosting. I could have stopped there but it was time to decorate and I thought it would be great to use even more chocolate. I found chocolate caramel truffles at my local grocery store and cut each of them in half and put them on top of the cupcake. You can also sprinkle them with chocolate jimmies if you want or chocolate curls. However you decorate them people will enjoy them.
I ended up taking these to work and they were gone before lunch time. I always judge how well a recipe is received by when they are gone at work. If they are eaten before lunch the recipe was amazing. If they are gone after lunch people really liked them. If there is some left at the end of the day then I know the recipe was just ok.
These are great cupcakes to make for a party or get together because they are pretty sturdy so you could easily take them with you. They are also able to sit at room temperature which makes them party perfect. If you would prefer to make mini cupcakes use this same recipe but put the batter into 24 mini cupcake tins instead of 12 regular sized muffin cups.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick butter (½ cup)
- ¾ c. Imperial Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 ¼ c. flour
- ¼ c. Divine Chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. milk
- ½ c. chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- 3 ½ c. Imperial Sugar powdered sugar
- ½ c. Divine Chocolate cocoa powder
- 2-3 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 12 chocolate caramel truffles
- chocolate jimmies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and beat until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Heat the milk for 30 seconds in the microwave so it is just warm. This will help the cocoa powder mix into the batter. Pour into the bowl with the butter and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and bake for 22-24 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar a half cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla and beat on high speed until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and top with a chocolate caramel truffle and chocolate jimmies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.