This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UniquelyMine #CollectiveBias
It's been a few weeks since my husband and I have left town so this past weekend we decided we needed to go shopping. We hopped in the car and off we went. We didn't have much of an agenda in mind besides going to the mall, eating a delicious dinner somewhere, and hitting the market to stock up on food and beverages.
After a tasty Mediterranean dinner and a little shopping we headed to Kroger to pick up some groceries before heading home. My husband went to grab some food while I went to the soda aisle for beverages. As I went to reach for a 12 pack of Diet Coke I noticed the fun designs on the package. The bright and colorful designs on these cans were so pretty!
I turned around and noticed that the 6 pack of ½ liter Diet Coke bottles also had pretty designs on them. I found out these are the new Diet Coke "It's Mine" designs. These fun cans and bottles are only available for a limited time so I bought both the 12 pack of cans and a 6 pack of the ½ liter bottles. They also have Diet Coke "It's Mine" glass bottles where each one has a unique design! No two glass bottles are the same! I was thinking these cans and bottles would be great for book club since they are so pretty and would work well for a spring brunch.
After I brought the Diet Coke home I kept thinking that instead of throwing the cans away I could totally up-cycle them into something else. I thought back to when I was in junior high and I searched for weeks to find the perfect can to make a lamp out of in Tech Ed. These cans would be awesome as a lamp base. Then I thought how cool they would look on our sun porch.
I decided to make hanging tea lights. With just a 12 pack of Diet Coke "It's Mine" cans, some heavy duty colored wire, and a pack of tea lights, I could totally make indoor tea light holders to hang in the windows of my sun porch. Since we often enjoy dinner out on the porch I knew this would add some much needed lighting in the evening.
The tea light holders were easy to make. I made 6 of them in about 15 minutes. I hung them up in the window and I really liked how they looked with the sun hitting them. Then as soon as it started getting dark I lit them and they put off a soft glow on the porch.
- 6 Diet Coke "It's Mine" cans
- 6 tea lights
- heavy wire
- Drink the Diet Coke and remove the pop tab from the top of the cans.
- Rinse and dry the cans.
- Using the knife poke a hole in the top of the can about an inch away from the drink hole. Make sure it is big enough for the wire to fit through.
- Using the knife score the can 6 times going from the top where the can stops curving down to the bottom. Gently apply pressure and cut the 6 slices in the can. Be careful as the edges may be sharp.
- Gently pull each of the strips outward. It may help to press in on the top of the strip while pulling out at the middle. Also, gently press down on the top of the can while doing this. Eventually all 6 pieces will be out and it will look like a lantern.
- Cut 6 pieces of wire each between 8-10 inches long.
- Push the wire through the hole you made in the top of the can and come out of the drinking hole. Twist the ends of the wire together several times to make sure it is secure. Push the twisted part of the wire back into the can.
- Carefully place a tea light in the center of the tea light holder.
- Hang the tea light holders in a safe location, light, and enjoy!
A Hezzi-D Original DIY project
Want to learn more about the new Diet Coke "It's Mine" designs? Simply click HERE and then tell me what you would make with these pretty cans or bottles!