As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Every summer we have a lot of cookouts. We love inviting friends and family over for dinner and sharing drinks and dinner out on the sun porch along with a grilled meal. In the summertime I am the preparer of meals and my husband is the griller. That leaves me more time to make dessert.
While I have more time to make the desserts, I don’t want to be in the kitchen anymore then I need to be. You see, we don’t have air conditioning in our house. I know a lot of people are shocked by that but the fact is, it’s rarely ever hot in our town. I’d say about one month out of the entire year it’s hot enough that we would need air conditioning. Luckily we have ceiling fans in most rooms of our house so it’s comfortable enough to do just about everything except for baking.
That’s where these cupcakes come in. These watermelon cupcakes are the perfect ending for a cookout or for a picnic and they are super easy to make! All it takes is a box of white cake mix, a container of vanilla frosting, a bag of chocolate chips, and food coloring. That’s it! Plus they look like they took a long time make which makes it even better.
The cupcake are simply white cake with pink food coloring and chocolate chips. The frosting is colored with green food coloring and mini chocolate chips are placed on top. They are super cute and look like little watermelons which make then fun for summer.
I made these for my students at school and they just loved them. They kept thinking that they tasted like watermelon even though they were just plain vanilla. The power of suggestion I think.
So next time you are having friends or family over, make sure you whip up a batch of these watermelon cupcakes for dessert!
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients to make the cake
- 2 containers vanilla frosting
- 1 c. mini chocolate chips
- pink and green food coloring.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place pink or red cupcake liners in 2 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl prepare the white cake mix according to the package directions.
- Add in enough pink food coloring to make a bright pink batter. Fold in 2/3 c. mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins, filling each muffin cup 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place both containers of vanilla frosting in a large bowl. Add enough green food coloring to give it a bright green hue.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with remaining mini chocolate chips.
Recipe from Today's Work at Home Mom