As most of my readers know, I love to bake. Whenever a friend or family member is going through a tough time and I want to put a smile on their face I often bake up a few treats in my kitchen and mail the treats to them in order to cheer them up. I recently came across Dixie Crystals and their Bake it Forward website. The idea is to bake something sweet and send it to someone that needs cheering up. The site also has a feature where you can track your tin and then if the person you baked for bakes something forward as well you can see where they sent the tin as well! It's a great way for anyone to do something small to brighten someone's day.
I wanted to send my parents and my brother some cookies but I wanted something different. My brother gets migraines and can't have regular chocolate so that was out. He is able to have white chocolate though so I wanted to include that in my cookies. One of the best cookies I've ever tasted had browned butter in it so I wanted to incorporate that as well.
I did a trial run of four different cookies and my husband and I both decided that the best one was the White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal cookies. These cookies are crisp on the edges but soft in the middle. The oats give the cookie texture, the white chocolate adds a bit of sweetness, and the cranberries add a hint of tartness. The brown butter and brown sugar combine together to give the cookie a caramel flavor. All the ingredients combine to form buttery, caramel, cranberry goodness. I can't wait for my family to give these a try!
White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (with Browned Butter)(a Hezzi-D original)
2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
16 T. butter (2 sticks)
1 c. Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
½ c. Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 ½ c. oats
1 c. craisins
1 c. white chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Set aside.
4. Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Allow the butter to foam. Once the foam has cleared gently stir the butter with a wooden spoon until it begins to brown. Continue stirring gently until the butter smells nutty and has browned.
5. Remove the butter from the heat and immediately pour into the mixing bowl with the sugars. Mix well to combine.
6. Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
7. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture stirring well to combine.
8. Stir in the oats, craisins, and white chocolate chips, taking care to evenly distribute them throughout the cookie dough.
9. Drop tablespoons of dough onto the cookie sheets 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly and put in the oven.
10. Bake for 8-11 minutes or until the edges are just browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel
What a delicious combo!
Thank you for linking up to Wonderful Food Wednesday. Hoping to see you again next week.
White chocolate and cranberry are such a delicious combo. I love the use of brown butter in these. They look fantastic!