So yesterday I used some more of my six pounds of apples to make apple muffins. They were perfect for breakfast but now that it’s the weekend I’m looking for something sweeter. Immediately cupcakes come to mind. I wanted to make an apple cinnamon cupcake with a sweet frosting on top. Looking through some recipes online I came across a brown sugar glaze that sounded like it would be perfect to go on top of my cupcakes.
The recipe for the cupcakes is similar to the muffins but there are differences. For starters there is more sugar in the cupcakes and more flour. I baked them up and they smelled divine. While they were in the oven I mixed up the brown sugar glaze. Even after sitting it was still runny so I added some powdered sugar to it which made it the perfect consistency.
I’d like to say that I could have eaten the entire pan of glaze. I’m not kidding it was like a warm, sweet caramel. The sweetness of this glaze was perfect with the sourness of the granny smith apples in the cupcakes. I ate two as soon as I glazed them and I’m not sure I’ll be able to stop myself from eating them all by the end of the weekend. Of course, I think I could dump this glaze on just about anything and I’d eat it.
Sadly, I used the end of my six pounds of apples on this recipe. It’s been a good apple baking week in our household and the next time I’m down near the Fruit Bowl, I’ll make sure to pick up another large load of apples. Next time I’ll switch up the types of apples, as I’d like to try a few different ones in some recipes I have sitting on my dresser just waiting to be made.
Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Glaze
2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 large egg
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
½ c. low fat sour cream
6 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
½ c. sweetened applesauce
3 apples peeled and cored: 1 diced and 2 grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter, sour cream, and sugars. Add in the applesauce and egg and beat well. Stir in the vanilla.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stir until well combined. Add the diced and grated apples and stir well.
5. Pour mixture into muffin tins about ¾ full. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes then glaze.
Brown Sugar Glaze (from Vintage Victuals)
½ stick butter
½ c. packed light brown sugar
1 T. milk
2 T. powdered sugar
1. Put the butter, brown sugar, and milk into a small saucepan. Stir until melted. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Allow to boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar. All to cool for 20 minutes to thicken. Pour onto apple cupcakes.