It’s gotten fairly chilly over the past week even though it’s only the beginning of October. I’m not complaining, as the first few weeks of school were so hot I thought I might pass out. I’m actually excited because I’ve got my hoodie on, I have nothing to do tonight, it's pouring down rain, and I’m thinking potato soup and grilled cheeses for dinner sound excellent.
Because I had potatoes, carrots, and celery in the house it was easy to decide on potato soup. I know many people will chide me for using a half a cup of potato flakes in my recipe but my mom and I swear by it. It helps to thicken the soup and gives it a great flavor.
I put together the soup before work and left it in the Crock-Pot on low all day. When I came home I put my hoodie back on and dinner was almost ready. I quickly put together grilled cheese sandwiches and then ladeled out the delicious soup. We like to top our soup with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and chives, but really any potato topping will work on this soup.
This recipe makes enough soup for 6-8 people. Therefore we generally have it for dinner the first day, then both lunch and dinner the next day. It's also a recipe that freezes well for up to 3 months.
Crockpot Potato Soup (a combined recipe from my mom and I)
6 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
6 slices bacon
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ c. dried potato flakes
¼ c. milk
1 t. marjoram
1 t. ground black pepper
½ t. rosemary
Cheddar cheese and chives for topping
1. Turn the crock-pot onto low and add chicken broth and water.
2. In a skillet cook the bacon until browned. Put onto paper towels to drain.
3. Keeping 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the skillet, sauté the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic cloves for 4-5 minutes. Add the vegetables to the crock-pot.
5. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes, add to the crock-pot. Slowly stir in the potato flakes, milk, and seasoning.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. If desired, use a potato masher to mash some of the potatoes and thicken the soup. Top with crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives.