When I have extra bananas that are beginning to go bad I usually make banana bread. I was a little tired of banana bread and began looking for a recipe that used the bananas and would be a nice treat. When I found a recipe for banana cupcakes on Bakerella’s blog that were black and gold I decided to give it a whirl for the Super Bowl. While she used cream cheese frosting, I made caramel cream cheese frosting for mine.
While these are not my favorite cupcakes, they are tasty and are a good substitute for banana bread. They had yellow frosting with black jimmies which made them the perfect Steelers cupcakes. The cupcakes are a little muffin like in texture but the caramel in the frosting really transforms the bananas and nuts in the cupcake.
Banana Nut Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting (adapted from Bakerella )
1 ¾ c. flour
1 t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
¼ c. butter at room temperature
¼ c. applesauce
¾ c. sugar
1 egg white
1/3 c. chopped pecans
2 bananas, mashed
½ c. milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, and applesauce. Add in the mashed banana and stir until well combined. Slowly mix in the egg and egg white.
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 T. butter at room temperature
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. caramel topping
3 c. powdered sugar
Yellow icing color
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add in vanilla and caramel and mix well.
2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar a half cup at a time until frosting begins to stiffen. Add 2-3 drops of yellow icing color if desired.
3. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with black jimmies or sprinkles.
This post linked to: