Nothing says fall like pumpkin and apples. So in order to honor fall, I will be posting a week of pumpkin recipes and then a week of apple recipes. This week I am starting with pumpkin recipes.
Unfortunately pumpkin has once again been hard to find at the grocery stores in my area. I checked 4 different stores and none of them had pumpkin. I finally found someone unloading two cases of pumpkin on a Sunday morning and stocked up to get me through the next few months.
Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Chocolate Glaze (adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride)
2 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 T. butter
2 t. baking powder
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2/3 c. canned pumpkin
2 T. low fat milk
2 t. vanilla
2 oz. chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a donut pan with baking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, and butter and mix until the butter is incorporated. Add in the baking powder, spices, and salt and mix well.
3. Add in the pumpkin, milk, eggs, and vanilla and stir until a thick dough forms.
5. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the donut springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
6. To make the glaze melt the chocolate in the microwave with the oil. Stir until smooth.
7. Dip the donuts into the chocolate glaze and top with sprinkles. Let the donuts sit for 15 minutes until the chocolate hardens. Store in an air tight container for up to 2 days.