Pumpkin and spices added into my favorite chewy snickerdoodle recipe makes these Pumpkin Snickerdoodles the perfect fall cookie.
Now that I'm back to work I don't have a whole lot of time in the kitchen so I've been trying to find recipes that are easy to make and don't take a lot of time. In the dessert department this tends to be cookies since they bake up quickly and don't need to be decorated.
Did you know there's a pumpkin shortage this year? I've heard from many people that they are struggling to find pumpkin. Lucky for me when I saw them put pumpkin out at the beginning of August I grabbed myself three cans just in case which turned out to be a smart move.
Grabbing a can of pumpkin I started looking for pumpkin cookie recipes. I already have a ton of them on my blog like these Chai Pumpkin Cookies and these Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Seed Cookies but I wanted to make something different.
When I came across the Pumpkin Snickerdoodle recipe I was totally sold. I love the sweet and spiced flavor in snickerdoodles and adding pumpkin to them? Well that sounded delicious.
For this recipe you will need:
- brown sugar
- pumpkin puree
- spices (cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice)
- baking soda
Basically everything that I normally have in my pantry plus the addition of pumpkin. If you are like me you almost always have pumpkin in your pantry as well.
The recipe requires you to refrigerate to the dough for several hours before baking so make sure to plan accordingly. This was actually a plus for me because I made the dough on a Friday night, chilled it over night, then made the cookies on Saturday during J's nap time.
The cookies came out super soft and chewy. I had a hard time getting them off the cookie sheet but once I did they firmed up on the cooling rack. They are bursting with pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. What a fabulous twist on a classic cookie! I can't wait to make them again!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- Can't find canned pumpkin puree? Make your own! Cut a pumpkin in half, scoop out the insides, rub a little oil on the pumpkin and bake it in the oven at 375 for an hour or so. Scoop out the middle and puree.
- If you can't find fresh pumpkins either you can always substitute butternut squash puree or sweet potato puree in this recipe for a similar flavor.
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ c. pumpkin pie puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ c. flour
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a large bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin.
- In a medium bow combine the salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and flour.
- Addthe dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to make the cookies preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Scoop the dough by large teaspoonful and shape into a ball.
- Dip the ball into the sugar mixture and place on a cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden and the centers are set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Pumpkin season is here, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures. All week-long 26 bloggers will be sharing over 80 pumpkin-filled recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks.
- Hot Pumpkin Apple Cider by Palatable Pastime
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Amish Friendship Bread by For the Love of Food
- Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Bread by Big Bear's Wife
- Cranberry Pumpkin Sourdough Bread by The Spiffy Cookie
- Disney's Pumpkin Muffins by Simply Inspired Meals
- Easy Pumpkin Bread by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Easy Pumpkin Monkey Bread by Love & Confections
- Keto Pumpkin Bread by Keto Basic AF
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Recipe by Blogghetti
- Pumpkin Croissants by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie by Our Sutton Place
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Spice Granola by The Mandatory Mooch
- Pumpkin-Apple Muffins by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Vegan Pumpkin Spiced Crepes by Happily Curated Chaos
- Fall Harvest Chowder by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Cheddar Grits with Bacon and Apples by Sweet Beginnings
- Pumpkin Chili by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pumpkin Ravioli by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Spiced Pumpkin Hummus by Our Good Life
- Spicy Thai Curry Pumpkin Noodle Soup by Making Miracles
- Candied Pumpkin Pie by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Easy Pumpkin Turnovers w/ a Chocolate Candy Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
- Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake by Shockingly Delicious
- Pumpkin Macarons by April Golightly
- Tikvenik - (Bulgarian Pumpkin Strudel) by Caroline's Cooking