It’s another month and another post for The Secret Recipe Club! This month I took a look at Erin’s blog, Big Fat Baker. Looking around her blog I wanted to make everything! She has an amazing collection of dessert recipes on her blog and hosts a fun blog hop called The Holiday Recipe Club. I pinned numerous recipes while searching her blog but I finally settled on making Nanaimo Bars.
The reason I choose Nanaimo Bars are because I’ve seen them on a ton of blogs but I had absolutely no idea what they were. These bars are a Canadian treat that consist of a no bake cookie crust topped with a vanilla butter icing, and then finished off with a layer of melted chocolate. The name comes from a city in British Columbia.
I made my no bake cookie crust without nuts because I’m not a fan. The bottom layer has a strong chocolate flavor cut with the flavor of coconut. The middle layer has a strong vanilla taste and is smooth and creamy. The top layer of hardened chocolate gives the bar a nice crunch. I loved the combination of flavors and I’m so glad I finally tried these Canadian favorites!
Nanaimo Bars (adapted from Big Fat Baker)
For the bottom layer:
1 stick butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. shredded coconut
1 t. salt
For the top layer:
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 T. coconut oil (or you can use butter)
1. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Whisk in the egg and stir constantly for 2 minutes to prevent scrambling. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, and salt.
4. Press the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. In a medium bowl cream the butter and half and half. Stir in the vanilla pudding powder, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Mix well. Spread the mixture over top of the chocolate layer and refrigerate for an additional hour.
6. Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe dish. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Mix well and pour over top of the vanilla layer. Smooth the top and refrigerate for 1 hour.
7. Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares. Refrigerate bars if not serving immediately.