Did you know that May 9th is National Moscato Day? I am especially excited about it as Moscato is one of my favorite spring and summer wines. It is so light and refreshing. It’s perfect for happy hour or as an after dinner drink with dessert!
I’ve also just recently been introduced to Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato. They have 3 different varieties and I used all three in today’s recipes. I couldn’t help it! With a Moscato trifecta as great as these are, who could pick just one?
I used the traditional Moscato for the base of my Pink Moscato Cupcakes. It’s a sweet white wine bursting with flavors of peach, honey, and citrus that tastes amazing in cupcake form. The I added the strawberry frosting. Not only is the frosting flavored with strawberry, it also has the subtle hints of red berries and orange blossoms from the Pink Moscato. The resulting cupcake is moist with a sweet strawberry frosting.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 stick butter
- ½ c. sugar
- 1¼ c. Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato
- ¾ c. butter
- ¼ c.Gallo Family Vineyards Pink Moscato
- 1 T. strawberry syrup
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in 16 muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the egg, egg whites, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Add in the butter and sugar and beat until just combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the Moscato, mixing until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling almost to the top. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed. Add in the Pink Moscato and strawberry syrup and beat for 1 minute. The mixture will not be smooth. Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until the frosting is the desired thickness.
- Pipe the strawberry Moscato frosting onto the cupcakes.
Now that I made the cupcakes for dessert I needed a special drink to celebrate National Moscato Day. Since the cupcakes were so rich, I wanted a drink that was tart and would complement the cupcakes. Looking at the Red Moscato, which is bursting with flavors of sweet citrus and peaches, I decided to expand upon the citrus side and make a citrus sangria.
The citrus sangria can be made with just about any citrus fruit that’s available. I went with navel oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and limes. I wanted to add a blood orange but my market didn’t have any. After adding in the Red Moscato and fruit, I topped it off with sparkling water and Triple Sec. It was tart and slightly sweet and paired so well with the Moscato cupcakes. In fact, the combination was so good I invited my girlfriends over the next night for an impromptu happy hour with the pairing!
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 lime, cut into slices
- 1 lemon, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup Triple Sec
- 2 cups chilled sparkling water (I used lemon flavored)
- 1 750 ml bottle chilled Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato wine
- Place the fruit and honey in a large pitcher. Add in the Triple sec and sparkling water. Mix well.
- Pour the Red Moscato into the pitcher.
- Refrigerate for several hours or serve immediately over ice.
What color Moscato are you going to be drinking for National Moscato Day? If you want to try one of Gallo Family Vineyard’s Moscato wines, check out the store locator for find them at a store near you! Or click HERE to for a $1.00 off coupon on your favorite Gallo Family Vineyard’s Wine.
See all the other fabulous Moscato recipes:
Appetizers and Mains:
- Lemon Rosemary Moscato Chicken by Family Foodie
- Moscato Meatball Skewers by Melanie Makes
- Pork Roast with Peach Moscato Sauce by Magnolia Days
- Pork with Moscato Sauce & Veggies by Momma’s Meals
Beverages, Breakfast, and Sweets:
- Blackberry Bellinis by The Foodie Army Wife
- Blackberry Almond Cake with Moscato Zabaione by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Individual Plum Crumbles with Moscato Syrup by Neighborfood
- Mandarin Orange Tart by NinjaBaking.com
- Mango Moscato Sorbet by Webicurean
- Mexican Chocolate Ganache Cake by MealDiva
- Mixed Berry Moscato Gelees by Alida’s Kitchen
- Moscato Gelée with Strawberry Compote by kimchi MOM
- Olive Oil Cake with Strawberry-Red Moscato Sorbet and Moscato Zabaglione by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Overnight Peaches and Cream Stuffed French Toast by In The Kitchen With KP
- Peachy Apricot Moscato Cake with Moscato Whipped Cream by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pink Moscato Cupcakes + Citrus Moscato Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pink Moscato Strawberry Shortcake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry Moscato Sangria by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Pink Moscato Ice Pops by girlichef
- Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd by Foxes Love Lemons
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.