I’m back to pasta this week! I just can’t quit. I’ve been using my spiralizer a lot to make zucchini noodles which I really enjoy and while my husband likes them ok, he likes pasta better. So I’ve been thinking about combining half pasta and half zucchini noodles to see if that made any difference. We’d still get the benefits from the zucchini and it would be half the carbs and calories as all pasta.
Of course just making pasta and zoodles with a jar of sauce wasn’t going to cut it. I wanted to make a sauce that would go with the pasta. I recently saw one for a veggie and meat sauce which used a small amount of ground beef with a lot of vegetables and figured if I was going to try and make the pasta healthier, I might as well make the sauce healthier.
As it turned out, when I went in the freezer all I had was ground turkey instead of beef. It’s pretty light but still tasty and I thought it would go well with the vegetables. The sauce is made with ground turkey, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and onion. I also added in a touch of red wine to give it some depth.
I poured the sauce over top of the spaghetti/zoodles combination and it looked amazing. You couldn’t even tell there were zoodles in with the spaghetti. I let my husband be the judge of how he liked the pasta and sauce.
He thought it was great! He liked how filling the vegetable and meat sauce was and had no idea it was turkey instead of ground beef. He also loved the spaghetti and zoodles. He said if I hadn’t told him half of it was zoodles he would have never known. I thought it was a delicious meal and and it was half the calories of traditional spaghetti with meat sauce.
- 8 oz. spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 zucchini, cut into noodles with a spiralizer
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. lean ground turkey
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can finely diced tomatoes
- 3 T. red wine
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 t. parsley
- 1 t. oregano
- ½ t. fennel
- 1 t. sea salt
- 2 t. black pepper
- 2 T. Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray it with cooking spray. Add the onion, ground turkey, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring to break up the turkey.
- Add in the pepper and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid is going.
- Pour the tomatoes and red wine into the skillet and mix well. Stir in the tomato paste, oregano, parsley, fennel, sea salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the zoodles and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the pasta and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Place spaghetti and zoodles on a plate and top with the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Appetizers, Sides and Salads
- 8 Grain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Farm Fresh Gazpacho by An Appealing Plan
- Farmer’s Market Potato Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fennel and Orange Salad by Feeding Big – and more!
- Gazpacho Shooters with Avocado and Corn Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Caprese by A Gouda Life
- Grilled Prosciutto Corn by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Caprese Salad by The Joyful Foodie
- Radish Top Pesto by Our Good Life
- Carrot Ravioli with Broccoli-Ricotta Filling by Caroline’s Cooking
- Farmers Market Pizza by Simply Healthy Family
- Farmstand Kebobs with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Halibut with Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Potatoes en Papillote by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Spaghetti and Zoodles with Vegetable Bolognese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto by Tasting Page
- Squash Blossom, Zucchini and Gouda Frittata by FoodieTots
- Sweet Corn Chowder with Crabmeat by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable and Chicken Shish Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
- Ziti with Bacon and Greens by Cooking Chat
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Food Lust People Love
- Classic Peach Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dairy Free Peach Mango Lassis with Coconut Whipped Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Curd Raspberry Crumb Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Lemon Tart by Brunch with Joy
- Peach Berry Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Biscuits by Food Done Light
- Raspberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Triple Cherry Crisp by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board