As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I love Chicken Parmesan. It’s one of my favorite weekend dishes because it’s easy to make, filling, and comforting. The only problem with traditional Chicken Parmesan is that it’s high is fat and calories because the chicken is fried, it’s covered in cheese, and it’s served on a bed of pasta.
Last week I decided to do something about my favorite meal. I wanted to change it up so it was healthier. The first thing I did was bake the chicken. I still coated it in breadcrumbs but instead of frying it in oil I simply dry baked it in the oven. Instead of topping it with a mound of cheese I placed one slice of provolone on top.
The biggest change I made was that I didn’t put it over top of pasta. As much as I love pasta, it adds a ton of extra calories. Instead I used my spiralizer and I made zucchini noodles to put underneath the chicken. I am loving zoodles lately. The texture is a little different then pasta but it’s a great alternative. I can make several cups of them for 100 calories!
The baked chicken over top of the zoodles was delicious. My husband even enjoyed it and said he would gladly have the meal again. The zucchini noodles were filling and tasted great with the marinara sauce. The chicken was tender and juicy. Overall, I liked this just as much as I do the regular version and this way saved me over 300 calories!
- 1 lb. chicken breast (about 4 pieces)
- 1/4 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 2 c. marinara sauce
- 2 zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper in a shallow dish.
- Place the egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a second dish.
- Run the chicken through the egg mixture and then dip into the breadcrumb mixture. Place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover the chicken with the marinara sauce. Place a piece of provolone cheese on top of each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 20 additional minutes.
- Using a spiralizer, cut the zucchini into noodles.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the zoodles. Saute for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve the chicken and sauce on top of the zoodles. Add extra sauce if needed.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe