Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Today I’m sharing a cookie recipe for the Creative Cookie Exchange. The theme this month was to bake with white chocolate. My first thought was to do white chocolate with cranberries, but I make cookies like that all the time and I wanted something different. My second thought was to make a strawberry shortcake cookie with white chocolate chips. I really liked this idea but I changed my mind when I saw when we were posting.
Since we were posting on St. Patrick’s Day I wanted to make a green cookie. I’ve been posting a lot of mint lately so I knew that wasn’t going to fly. When I thought about cookie flavors that were green all I could come up with was lime or pistachio. I’m not a big pistachio fan so lime it was!
I had some trouble coming up with a lime cookie recipe but when I thought back to my strawberry cookie idea, I was going to make it with strawberry cake mix. I figured I could make these with white cake mix and key lime flavoring. I dug through my cupboard and was rewarding when I found a packet of Duncan Hines Key Lime Flavor Creations. Score!
I mixed the flavoring in with the cake mix, added some fresh lime juice, and I was set! I mixed in some white chocolate chips, crossed my fingers, and popped them in the oven. They smelled awesome when they were cooking! Just like key limes.
When they cookies came out of the oven they looked very soft. I was worried they were undercooked but after they cooled they were perfect. They were bright and flavorful with strong key lime flavor and hints of the white chocolate. They melted in my mouth and were totally awesome! My husband loved them. This is such an easy cookie and it’s perfect for spring.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 packet Duncan Hines Key Lime Flavor Creations
- 6 T. butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- ½ c. white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, flavor creation packet, and butter. Mix well until combined.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the lime juice and mix until combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet by heaping tablespoon. Spread the cookies 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the cookies are firm and beginning to brown. They will look undercooked but they are fine.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
The theme this month is White Chocolate! White chocolate is seriously underrated as a baking ingredient–it complements so many other flavors so nicely, like citrus, spices, berries, winter squash, etc. So if you want to see all the ways white chocolate can be used to make terrific cookies, you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Black Bottomed Banana & White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Cashew and White Chocolate Chips Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Citrus Olive Oil Biscotti with White Chocolate Chunks from The Spiced Life
- Cookies and Cream Blondies from Sidewalk Shoes
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Japanese Yuzu Citrus Biscotti from NinjaBaker
- Key Lime White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Liquid Cocaine (Espresso-White Chocolate) Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies from Spiceroots
- Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Toffee Bits from A Bakerís House
- Vanilla, Currant, and White Chocolate Cookies from Karenís Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Lemon and Oats Cookies from Bakingyummies
- White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Made With Love
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Bars from Upstate Ramblings