October is here and school is in full swing. My days are crazy busy with teaching students, managing behaviors, and working with parents. After work several days a week I go to aerobics and by the time I get home I’m exhausted. Somedays I throw something in the slow cooker before I leave in the morning and other days I make a quick and easy dinner. Sometimes I wish I could just pull something out of the freezer and bake it when I get home. That’s where freezer meals come in.
I love making freezer meals. I usually put together a list of 5 or 6, do the grocery shopping, and make them all in one day. Then I freeze them and pull them out all winter long. Most of my freezer meals are comfort food and this Chili and Rice Casserole fits the bill!
I was going to just make chili and freeze it but then I thought I would have to make a side dish with it and that’s a pain. I wanted a one dish meal that I could simply pull out and bake. So I thought a chili casserole with rice would be perfect.
I layered rice in the bottom of a baking dish and then put my homemade chili on top. While that would be tasty enough, a casserole isn’t complete without the cheese! I had several types of Kerrygold cheese on hand and tried three of them with a spoonful of chili. The Kerrygold Aged Cheddar went the best with this dish. It’s rich and creamy flavor goes well with the spicy chili.
The best part of this dish is that I can make it ahead of time and either leave it in the refrigerator over night to bake the next day or freeze it and bake it anytime in the next 6 months. It’s a warm, hearty, and comforting dish perfect for fall or winter.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 packet of chili seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz) green chilies
- 2 c. rice, cooked
- 1 block Kerrygold Aged Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Spray a 9 x 13 disposable baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the ground beef over medium heat. Saute for 7-9 minutes or until it has browned. Add ½ c. of water and a packet of chili seasoning and mix well.
- Add in the cannellini beans, black beans, crushed tomatoes, and green chilies. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the cooked rice into the bottom of the disposable baking dish. Pour the beef and bean mixture over top.
- Sprinkle the top with the Kerrygold Aged Cheddar cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and then foil.
- Refrigerate until ready to bake or freeze for up to 6 months.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and replace the foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes.
I received Kerrygold Cheese to use in a recipe post but all opinions are 100% my own.