It’s apple season and I’ve been making all thing apple! That means we’ve been having apple cookies, apple cider, apple sangria, and apple butter. It’s just one of those ingredients that I use a lot for 2 or 3 months and then use sparingly for the rest of the year.
In fact, I had a baking weekend last week and I made a ton of apple and pumpkin drinks and desserts. My husband was at an auction all day Saturday and Sunday so that meant I was in the kitchen most of both days. It’s just nice to go into the kitchen and cook when there isn’t anyone else home. That way I don’t have to worry about how messy I am because no one is going to see it until I have it cleaned up.
So during fall bake-a-thon I tried my hand at these Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars. I means, it’s basically an apple crisp sitting on top of a shortbread cookie. What’s not to like?
There’s three parts to this cookie. The first is the shortbread crust. You make that and then pop it in the oven. While it’s cooking you toss together the apple ingredients. Then when the cookie comes out of the oven you put the apples mixture on top of that and sprinkle it with the topping.
The finished cookie is pretty awesome. It’s like a solid shortbread cookie holding up a spiced apple crisp. It’s sweet and spiced and full of apple flavor. It’s a delicious fall dessert that’s easy to make and keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. cinnamon
- 1 c. flour
- 3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 T. flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 t. apple pie spice (or cinnamon if you don't apple pie spice)
- ½ c. flour
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. butter
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line an 8 x8 baking dish with foil.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and flour until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the oven temperature up to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine the apples, flour, sugar, and apple pie spice in a medium bowl. Toss to coat.
- Mix together the ingredients for the topping until a crumble forms.
- When the shortbread comes out of the oven sprinkle with half of the crumble mixture. Then layer the apples on top of it in 2 rows. Sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
Apple Pie Martini by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Apple Pie Smoothie by Feeding Big
Caramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
Hot Fireball Apple Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Spice Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries by Feeding Big
Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
Sage Pork Chops with Apple Pan Gravy by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork by Cooking With Carlee
Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread by Feeding Big
Apple Dumplings by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Brown Butter Apples by Cricket’s Confections
Mini Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Nana’s Apple Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around The Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
Apple Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple and Peppered Bacon by Feeding Big
Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy’s Cooking Adventures