Summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime! It’s summertime! School is out for the summer and I’m enjoying time at home with my baby and my husband. It’s nice not having a bed time and being able to get some things done during the day. It’s also the perfect time to relax and enjoy a cocktail on the porch at night.
I’ve realized that I haven’t been making or enjoying nearly as many beverages in the last year as I normally do. I know it’s because Baby J is here and instead of making a delicious drink I’ll usually just pour myself a glass of water or get a diet soda. Plus most days we go and get some type of espresso drink so that takes up my drink calories.
Now that summer is here I don’t need those espresso drinks as much so I’m back to making cocktails. I went to work on a margarita flavored with fresh berries. I’ve done the whole strawberry margarita before so this time I went with blackberry lime margaritas. Blackberries just happened to be buy one get one free this week so it was the perfect time to make them.
I found a recipe for this drink but it made frozen margaritas and I’m totally an on the rocks margarita type of girl so I adapted it to my tastes. The blackberries, lime juice, sugar, and water were poured into a saucepan and cooked until the berries burst then put through a sieve. The juice was then mixed with tequila and Triple sec to make the margaritas.
I poured the margaritas in a mason jar and kept them in the refrigerator to cool. When it was time to enjoy them I pour the mixture over top of ice and served them with fresh blackberries and a slice of lime. It was sweet, tart, and perfect for summer. This made enough for my husband and I to each have one and a half margaritas which was the perfect amount on a hot summer night.
- 1 c. fresh blackberries
- 1 c. water, divided
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. fresh lime juice
- 2 t. lime zest
- ⅓ c. tequila
- ⅓ c. Triple Sec
- blackberries and lime slices for garnish
- Place the blackberries, ½ cup of water, sugar, lime juice, and lime zest in a saucepan. Heat until boiling then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the berries burst.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve and discard the solids.
- Pour the juice into a quart sized mason jar. Add in the tequila and Triple Sec. Put the lid on and shake. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Pour the mixture over top of ice and garnish with blackberries and a lime slice.