As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Chicken gets a flavorful make over with all of your favorite antipasto ingredients like pepperoncini, pepperoni, artichoke hearts, and olives!
We eat a lot of chicken so I’m always finding new ways of cooking it or sauces to add more flavor. I probably have fifty or more chicken recipes on this blog because we eat it so frequently. In the summer it’s a lot easier because we just marinate it and grill it but in the colder months I need to use my imagination to come up with some new ideas.
When I was looking through my cooking magazines the other day I came across a recipe for Antipasto Smothered Chicken. Just the photo had me ripping it out of the magazine and putting it in my save pile. Once I read the recipe I realized I could add a few simple ingredients and have a really delicious meal.
While this recipe calls for salami that isn’t something we have on hand but we always have pepperoni which is a good substitute. I also added in some sun-dried tomatoes and olives because I had both of them in the refrigerator. I like using products I already have so they don’t go to waste. The pepperoncinis are a must because they add just a bit of heat to this chicken.
I served it on top of couscous which I thought was a good choice because the plain couscous really allowed the chicken flavors to shine through. It would also be good on top of leftover rice.
My husband and I really liked this chicken because there were so many flavors going on in it. We had it over couscous for dinner then my husband had the idea to put it over salads the next day for lunch. He cut the chicken into small strips and served it over top of salads with a vinaigrette dressing which was the perfect way to re-purpose this dish for lunch!
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/3 c. marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 c. pepperoni, chopped
- 1/4 c. pepperonici, chopped
- 1/4 c. sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 c. olives, chopped
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 t. oregano
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- 1/4 c. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons oil, artichok hearts, pepperoni, pepperoncini, sun dried tomatoes, olives, red wine vinegar, and oregano in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large oven proof skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and add to the skillet.
- Cooke for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they begin to brown.
- Top each chicken cutlet with a quarter of the artichoke and pepperoni mixture. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and serve the chicken over couscous or rice.
Recipe adapted from Eating Well
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 1127mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 45g
National Stop Food Waste Day
- 5 ways to use leftover mashed potatoes by Frugal & Fit
- Empanada Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Broccoli and Ham Quiche by Blogghetti
- Antipasto Smothered Chicken by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Greek Chicken Salad with Quinoa by Palatable Pastime
- How To Make Vegetable Broth with Scraps by The Spiffy Cookie
- Buttermilk Bread by Making Miracles
- Ham & Cheddar Parsley Biscuit Sandwiches by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chicken Meatball Pasta Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings