Firecracker Chicken is a spicy and flavorful chicken and broccoli dish that makes for an easy weeknight meal. This recipe was originally published in January 7, 2014 but I thought that the photos and the content needed a bit of updating.
I’m always trying to eat healthier. The time in between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve is always bad for me in the way of eating. I’m always so busy doing holiday baking that I don’t make many new savory recipes and I eat way too many cookies. So I made sure starting January 1 my husband and I started eating healthy again and cooking healthy meals at home 5-6 nights a week.
In addition to eating healthy I’m always trying to find meals that require less than 30 minutes of hands on time so that I can spend more time with my son. I miss seeing him all day long and only have a few hours with him before bed so I hate when I spend a lot of that time in the kitchen making dinner.
That’s one great thing about this recipe. It only takes a few minutes to saute the chicken and then it goes into a baking dish with broccoli and the sauce. The sauce will look runny at first but will thicken up as it baked in the oven.
While in the oven the sauce coats the chicken and becomes sweet, spicy, and sticky. It tastes great when served over jasmine rice. We love the flavors in this meal and how easy it is to make. If you haven’t tried this one before, now is the time to give it a try!
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Add in bell peppers, onions, or your other favorite vegetables in addition to the broccoli.
- Don’t like a ton of spice? Reduce the buffalo sauce to 1/4 cup and up the soy sauce to 1/4 cup.
- The longer you cook the chicken and vegetables the stickier the sauce will become.
For the chicken:
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 2 eggs
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 c. buffalo sauce
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- 1 T. vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 c. fresh broccoli florets
- 3 c. cooked jasmine rice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cornstarch in a shallow bowl. Mix well.
- Beat the eggs in a separate shallow dish.
- Heat the oliv eoil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the chicken into the cornstach mixture and then into the eggs.
- Place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned but not cooked through.
- Put the chicken in a 9 x 13 pan along with the broccoli.
- In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Pour sauce over top of the chicken and broccoli and toss to coat.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Divide rice between 4 bowls. Top with the chicken and broccoli mixture.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 1677mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 45g