Cool fall days are upon us and I've been trying to make a large pot of soup every week. Soup is great to have on hand when it's cold outside because it's filling and it helps warm you to the core. Plus, when I make a big pot of soup for dinner we can then enjoy the leftovers for lunch during the week.
I recently received a shipment of fabulous fall produce from Melissa's Produce and once I saw what was in the box I couldn't wait to get cooking. One thing in the box was celery root. I've never cooked with celery root before but when I looked it up it sounded like it would be delicious in soup. I also had potatoes and shallots which make a tasty soup so I decided on an autumn harvest potato soup.
One thing that I added to this soup that wasn't part of the box was an apple. Apples scream fall and it added just a touch of sweetness to the soup which I thought was really nice. I put all of the vegetables in a pot with chicken stock and cooked it for an hour. If you want to go vegetarian simply use vegetable broth instead.
Once the soup was cooked I used an immersion blender and blended it until smooth along with a little bit of cream. The cream adds flavor and helps to smooth out the soup. The funny thing is that this soup turned purple! I had some purple potatoes in the soup but didn't think it would change the entire soup that color but it did. I actually think it's a really stunning looking soup but if the purple color freaks you out simply don't use purple potatoes.
The soup was perfect for a cool fall night. It was thick and creamy and tasted of potatoes. It had a slight sweetness from the apples and the other vegetables added subtle flavors as well. I served it with some crusty bread and butter and I called it a meal. If you are looking for a great fall soup give this one a try today!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ lb potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used fingerling potatoes)
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 c. chicken broth (or vegetable broth if making vegetarian)
- ½ c. cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add in the potatoes, celery root, onion, and shallot and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the cream, lemon juice, pepper, parsley, and rosemary to the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Taste the soup and add additional cream, salt, or pepper if needed.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
I received a box of produce from Melissa's Produce but all opinions are 100% my own.