One of the reasons I love the summer is because of all the fresh produce. For the last 5 years I've been planting a small herb and vegetable garden. This year I have a lot more room to plant and have expanded on my garden. There's nothing like going out into the yard, picking the fresh vegetables, and then cooking a delicious meal.
This year I've planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini in the garden. I also have a blackberry and blueberry bush. Then I have parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, mint, basil, and cilantro in my herb garden. Whatever I can't find in my own garden I can find at the local farmer's market.
Since the weather has been hot and it's not looking like it's going to cool down anytime soon, I've been making a lot of entree salads. I love making entree salads because I use many of the veggies and herbs from my garden plus I don't have to turn on the oven and heat the house out. I've recently been making my own dressing as well.
This chopped salad has herbs, tomatoes, and peppers from my garden. I then bought the onions, lettuce, and strawberries from the farmers market. My husband actually used to farm and has worked with some of the people who have stands at the farmer's markets so he always knows who has the best produce. This salad is simple and you can use any herbs and vegetables that you have in your own garden at home. I would keep the cheese, bacon, and strawberry poppyseed dressing but it's great that you can customize this salad based on your own tastes.
Bacon Chopped Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing
Delicious chopped salad with peppers, bacon, onions, cheese, and strawberries served with a strawberry vinaigrette.
For the salad:
- 4 strips bacon
- 5 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoons oregano, chopped
- 1 c. strawberries, chopped
- 1 c. colored bell peppers (I used yellow and orange), chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ c. pepper jack cheese, shredded
For the dressing:
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon. sugar
- ¼ c. strawberries, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon red onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon black poppyseeds
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until it is browned. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss the lettuce, parsley, cilantro, and oregano in a bowl. Divide the lettuce mixture into two large serving bowls.
- Place the strawberries on top of the salad in one long row. Place the colored peppers beside the strawberries in a second row. Continuing around the salad top it with the red onion, cherry tomatoes, and cheddar cheese.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and place it on the last section of the salad. Place the pepper jack cheese on top in the middle. Set the salads aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Serve the salads with the salad dressing on the side.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
See the other garden fresh recipes from this week:
Monday - Chopped Chicken Garden Salad with Spicy Avocado Dressing by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Tuesday - Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken Breasts by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Wednesday - Cheesy Chicken Bruschetta Bread Boats by Neighborfood
Thursday - Garden Vegetable Tart by Daily Dish Recipes
Friday - Bacon Chopped Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
This month, #SundaySupper and American Family Insurance are working together to encourage people to plant their own gardens as part of their #ChooseDreams campaign. Growing your own food is a fun and healthy well to know where your produce is coming from. It's also a great way to get the family involved in a project together.
Cindys Recipes and Writings
Congrats Heather for your salad being chosen as the winner to make at Madison with AmFam!
Wow that looks like a great salad!!
What a fantastic dinner idea. Perfection!
Kathleen @ Fearlessly Creative Mammas
This sounds so good. I love salads with strawberries. And most things with bacon are good, so what's not to love. Pinning this to make very soon.
Tammi @ Momma's Meals
You had me at BACON!!!! Yummy! Love the dressing!
Thank you! I threw the bacon in because my husband says bacon makes everything better!
Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest
This sounds yummy! Travis is always super adventurous with his dressings and would probably love something like a Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing.
It's a great dressing for summer with the strawberries in it, plus it's oil and vinegar based which is my favorite!
Such a beautiful salad, Heather! I can't wait to try the dressing also.
Thank you! You can make the dressing with blueberries instead of strawberries if that's what you have on hand. Both are yummy!
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
This is my kind of salad, Heather! Love the sweet, salty, savory combo!
What a colorful salad! Mouthwatering for sure.