One of the reasons I love the summer is because of all the fresh produce. For the last 5 years I’ve been planting a small herb and vegetable garden. This year I have a lot more room to plant and have expanded on my garden. There’s nothing like going out into the yard, picking the fresh vegetables, and then cooking a delicious meal.
This year I’ve planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini in the garden. I also have a blackberry and blueberry bush. Then I have parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, mint, basil, and cilantro in my herb garden. Whatever I can’t find in my own garden I can find at the local farmer’s market.
Since the weather has been hot and it’s not looking like it’s going to cool down anytime soon, I’ve been making a lot of entree salads. I love making entree salads because I use many of the veggies and herbs from my garden plus I don’t have to turn on the oven and heat the house out. I’ve recently been making my own dressing as well.
This chopped salad has herbs, tomatoes, and peppers from my garden. I then bought the onions, lettuce, and strawberries from the farmers market. My husband actually used to farm and has worked with some of the people who have stands at the farmer’s markets so he always knows who has the best produce. This salad is simple and you can use any herbs and vegetables that you have in your own garden at home. I would keep the cheese, bacon, and strawberry poppyseed dressing but it’s great that you can customize this salad based on your own tastes.
- 4 strips bacon
- 5 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 T. parsley, chopped
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 1 t. oregano, chopped
- 1 c. strawberries, chopped
- 1 c. colored bell peppers (I used yellow and orange), chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ c. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 T. sugar
- ¼ c. strawberries, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. red onion, minced
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 t. black poppyseeds
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until it is browned. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss the lettuce, parsley, cilantro, and oregano in a bowl. Divide the lettuce mixture into two large serving bowls.
- Place the strawberries on top of the salad in one long row. Place the colored peppers beside the strawberries in a second row. Continuing around the salad top it with the red onion, cherry tomatoes, and cheddar cheese.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and place it on the last section of the salad. Place the pepper jack cheese on top in the middle. Set the salads aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Serve the salads with the salad dressing on the side.
See the other garden fresh recipes from this week:
Monday – Chopped Chicken Garden Salad with Spicy Avocado Dressing by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Tuesday – Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken Breasts by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Wednesday – Cheesy Chicken Bruschetta Bread Boats by Neighborfood
Thursday – Garden Vegetable Tart by Daily Dish Recipes
Friday – Bacon Chopped Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
This month, #SundaySupper and American Family Insurance are working together to encourage people to plant their own gardens as part of their #ChooseDreams campaign. Growing your own food is a fun and healthy well to know where your produce is coming from. It’s also a great way to get the family involved in a project together.
To see more recipes from the garden visit American Family’s Recipes from the Garden Pinterest Board. To learn more visit American Family Insurance on their website| Facebook | Twitter |Pinterest|Google+| YouTube | LinkedIn.