As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
My husband loves donuts. He rarely eats them but when he has one he really enjoys it. I, on the other hand, am not a huge fan of fried donuts. While I think they taste fine I just can’t get over the amount of calories for something I could take or leave. I do happen to like homemade baked donuts though because they are more cake like then fried.
So when Kate of Kate’s Recipe Box chose baked donuts for our What’s Baking? challenge I started thinking of something that would be healthier and delicious for breakfast. I wasn’t sure what type of donut I was going to make but when I had a snow day on Tuesday the weather decided for me.
I woke up hungry and didn’t have a whole lot in the kitchen. Since I don’t ever have time to make breakfast during the week I thought it would be nice for both my husband and I if I made the baked donuts on a Tuesday. After looking in the refrigerator and the pantry I decided on a lemon blueberry donut. I love the flavor of sweet blueberries with tart lemons and I thought they would be great in a baked donut.
While my husband was outside shoveling I whipped up a pan of these donuts. I love having a donut pan because it makes 6 small donuts and they are ready in about 10 minutes. There’s no huge clean up of hot oil like there would be for fried donuts and these ones taste so much better. I added in fresh blueberries and some lemon zest. Then when the donuts were cooling I whipped up a fresh lemon glaze.
My husband walked into the house as I was glazing the donuts. Once he took off his coat and made a cup of coffee we enjoyed bright and delicious donuts with our hot coffee. It was the perfect combination for a cold and snowy day. The blueberries burst a bit in the oven but once they cooled the donuts stayed together without any problems. These are definitely a tasty breakfast but they would also be a great midday snack with coffee or tea.
For the donuts:
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 c.+ 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 c. blueberries
For the glaze:
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and mix well. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add in the milk and stir until combined. Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Put the donut batter in a zip top baggie and snip off the end. Make the cut large enough that the blueberries will come out.
- Pipe the donut batter into the prepared pan, making a round donut in each hole but making sure not to totally fill it as the donut will expand as it bakes.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cook on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Dip the tops of each donut into the glaze then put on the wire rack so that the glaze drips off.
- Donuts are best eaten the day they are made but can be kept for up to 3 days in an air tight container.
Adapted from The Recipe Rebel