Let's talk about salads. I love salads during the warm months because they don't require much, if any, cooking and they are refreshing to eat. However, I have a harder time with them in the winter. Sometimes when it's snowing outside I don't want to eat something cold for dinner.
In the last few months I've been using different combinations of fruits, nuts, and cheeses to jazz up my salads and make them more palatable in the winter months. That fits in well with Sunday Supper's theme this week which is Winter Salads! I didn't have to look to far to find the inspiration for my winter salad. As soon as I looked in the fruit bowl and saw the pile of blood oranges I knew my salad would work around them.
Since I had my fruit, I built my salad from there. I chose a combination of greens and spinach for my base because spinach is a hearty base for a winter salad. Then I peeled one of the blood oranges and put the sections on top of the greens. This is where I got stuck. I needed a nut, a cheese, and a few vegetables. I went for the walnuts because for some reason they seem like a hearty and flavorful nut that shines with citrus.
Next I picked my vegetables which included carrots which I got fresh at the winter farmer's market last week and thinly sliced red onion. The cheese is where I got stuck. I had swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack on hand. I tasted each cheese with a slice of blood orange and determined that the mozzarella went best with it since it's a little more on the mild side.
After I tossed everything together in a salad I bowl I started on the dressing. I've been making some amazing vinaigrettes lately and this one was no exception. The gorgeous pinkish orange color from the blood oranges really gave the dressing a beautiful hue. The dressing was just slightly sweet and packed a lot of flavor. It was delicious on top of the salad.
This is definitely a winter salad that I can get behind. It feels so fancy but it takes just minutes to make the entire dish, including the dressing. This is a salad I'd love to serve as an appetizer at a dinner party.
- Juice of 2 blood oranges
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ⅓ c. red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 2 t. honey
- salt and pepper
- 4 c. mixed greens
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 2 blood oranges, divided into segments then cut in half
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a container with an air tight lid. I like using a mason jar. Put the lid on a shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes or until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large serving bowl combine the mixed greens and baby spinach and toss to combine.
- Place the orange segments on top of the greens. Add the carrots and onions then sprinkle with the walnuts.
- Lightly sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Serve with the blood orange vinaigrette on the side.
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma's Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board