As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Delicious Berry Chia Scones bursting with blueberries, strawberries, and chia seeds then topped with a lemon glaze.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. All opinions are mine alone.
When spring comes around I like to start using berries because they are one of the first signs of spring. I know that you can get them year round but they actually start coming in to season in the spring where I live. There’s nothing like going strawberry or blueberry picking in May to make it really feel like spring.
I’ve been trying to find new things to make for breakfast because in all honesty I’m sick of toast and oatmeal right now. I want something bright and tasty yet filling. I have to admit I’m partial to bread like products for breakfast because they just seem to go easier on my stomach. This week I decided to make scones.
Since I’ve been in a berry mood I picked up some blueberries and strawberries at my local market. I’ve made blueberry scones before so I wanted to add in something a little different. I decided on chia seeds because they are filled with fiber and antioxidants.
I baked up a batch of these Berry Chia Scones and they smelled delicious. I pulled them out of the oven as they started turning golden brown. Some people like hard scones but I really like them when they are crisp on the outside but soft and buttery on the inside. These scones were just like that. The blueberries really popped in my mouth and the rich butter flavor came through. I like that scones are sweet but not too sweet which makes them a great choice for breakfast.
I wanted to add a bit of brightness to the scones so I opted for a lemon glaze. This comes from fresh lemon juice.
My husband, who is not a fan of scones, totally gobbled these up. He told me they were probably the best scones he has ever had which is high praise coming from him. I had to agree that I really enjoyed the pairing of blueberries, strawberries, and lemon together in this tasty breakfast bread.
For the scones:
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 1/2 c. blueberries
- 1/2 c. strawberries, chopped
For the glaze:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the butter in small portions and mix together with your hands until it is coarse and resembles wet sand.
- Add in the egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well until a dough forms.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Fold in the blueberries and strawberries.
- Turn onto a floured surface and shape into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 6 pieces then cut each piece diagonally to form 12 triangles.
- Place the triangles on the baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or until they are browned. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and mix well.
- Drizzle over top of cooled scones and allow to sit for 10 minutes or until glaze has hardened.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
Thursday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Berry Chia Scones with Lemon Glaze by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birds Nest Easter Dirt Cups by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Blackberry Lemon Coffee Cake by Our Good Life
- Bunny Cards by The Freshman Cook
- Carrot Cake Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cottontail Confetti Krispies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Creamy Lemon Cheesecake Parfaits by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Easter Chocolate Bark by Sweet Beginnings
- Easter Fudge by Family Around the Table
- Fruit and Yogurt Popsicles by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fun Spring Meringues by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Parfaits by The Tip Garden
- Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Orange Cupcakes by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Spring Rolo Pretzel Bites with Sprinkles by Blogghetti
- Spring Sugar Cookie Cake by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes by The Crumby Kitchen
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Buckwheat Pancakes by Crumb Top Baking
- Sugar Cookie Dough Frosting by Cooking With Carlee
- Vegan Banana Split Cake by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Funfetti Brownies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Yogurt Panna Cotta with Berry Coulis by Cookaholic Wife