As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
For the last three months I’ve been drinking a cup of coffee and a bowl of dry Cheerios for breakfast. Don’t get me wrong, I actually enjoy dry Cheerios so don’t feel bad for me. It’s just that I’m getting tired of having the same old thing especially since it’s summer and I actually have time to cook breakfast daily.
During the school year I usually wake up when J wakes up, play with him in the morning, and have my cereal while he has his milk or morning snack. It’s nice to enjoy a quick bite to eat with him before I go to work. Now that it’s summer I’m able to actually sit and eat breakfast with him so I’m trying to make some different things.
I like sweeter breakfast foods more than savory. I also like things that aren’t too filling because I don’t need a huge breakfast. I’m more of a lunch person. But I do like things like pancakes or cinnamon rolls or baked oatmeal. Since it’s blueberry season I’ve been trying to bake with those and thought these Blueberry Oat Bars would be perfect for breakfast.
While they do bake up like a dessert bar I figured because they are packed with blueberries and also have a lot of oats in them that they are perfectly acceptable as a breakfast food. You could also use whole wheat flour and less sugar if you wanted to make them healthier. If you aren’t a huge blueberry fan you could use raspberries or blackberries in place of the blueberries.
These bars are delicious. They are bursting with blueberry flavor. The crust is thick and has a sweet oat flavor to it. The blueberries in the middle give the bars most of their flavor. Make sure you cool them completely before cutting them into pieces to insure that they cut nicely.
So whether you want to try these for breakfast, snack time, or dessert, give these Blueberry Oatmeal Bars a try this summer while blueberries are in season!
For the crust and topping:
- 1 c. flour
- ¾ c. oats
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling:
- 2 c. fresh blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ c. sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the butter and mix until a crumble forms. Stir in the egg yolk.
- Remove 1 cup of the crumble mixture from the bowl. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl toss the blueberries with the lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Pour over top of the crust in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crumble is firm.
- I like to put the broiler on for 1 minute to darken the crumble but this is optional.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When ready to serve remove the bars from the pan using the foil. Cut into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Just So Tasty
Thank you to Ellen from Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting #BlueberryWeek. More than 20 top notch bloggers are sharing a variety of blueberry recipes from breakfast to dessert. Follow #BlueberryWeek on social media so you don’t miss one delicious recipe.
Blueberry Week Recipes
- Blueberry Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Buttermilk Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes by Palatable Pastime
- Glazed Blueberry Donut Muffins by Sweet Beginnings
Drinks and Appetizers
- Blueberry Basil Bourbon Smash by Cookaholic Wife
- Blueberry Bubble Tea by Our Good Life
- Blueberry Lemon Naan Bread Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Blueberry Syrup with (Optional) Bourbon by Food Above Gold
- Roasted Blueberry French Toast Crostini by Daily Dish Recipes
Sauces and Spreads
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Saucy Honey & Balsamic Blueberry Jam by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Blueberry Curd by Caroline’s Cooking
- Blueberry Bison Chili by Savory Moments
- Blueberry Romaine Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Curry Burgers with Blueberry Chutney and Coconut-Lime Slaw by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- 5-Minute Blueberry Cheesecake Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Blueberry Cardamom Crisp by Crumb Top Baking
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cooking For My Soul
- Blueberry Cobbler by Family Around the Table
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blueberry Peach Oatmeal Bars by The Beard and The Baker
- Blueberry, Peach & Brie Slab Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
Get the pan that I used for this recipe (affiliate link):