This has been a really weird summer. We went from weeks and weeks of rain and chilly temperatures to sweltering hot and humid. It was quite a shock to say the least. The last 2 or 3 weeks have been really hot so I haven't wanted to turn on my oven and have been trying to find some treats that will help cool us off.
I finally decided on Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Yes, I realize I had to turn on the oven to make but I did it first thing in the morning and I only baked one batch of cookies so it wasn't on for very long. I baked up a batch of one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes and simply made them really big. I topped them with a vanilla salt that is sweet yet salty and really made the cookies. I ended up with very large cookies that were chewy in the middle and crisp on the outside which is perfect for an ice cream sandwich.
What I didn't anticipate is that a 3 ingredient recipe would cause me so many issues. My first problem is that I bought light ice cream. Do not buy light ice cream, frozen yogurt, or anything else as it is too soft and will melt all over you as you are trying to work with it. My first attempt with light ice cream was a mess. The second attempt was with vanilla ice cream and it worked so much better.
I bought a pint of ice cream because it makes it really easy. You can turn the pint on its' side and slice it into four equal sections right through the pint. It makes the perfect circle and is a great thickness as well. It's so much easier than trying to shape ice cream into disks.
So once I cut the ice cream into disks I placed them on the chocolate chip cookies and put them together into the sandwiches. Then I rolled them in sprinkles and not just any sprinkles but Fresh April Sprinkles. This is an all new line of sprinkles from fellow blogger Fresh April Flours. She has some super fun sprinkles like these Birthday Party Sprinkles that I used on these ice cream sandwiches. Use code HEZZID15 and get 15% off your sprinkle order!
After I rolled them in the sprinkles I froze them until we were ready to enjoy them. If you are going to leave them in the freezer for more than 3 days wrap them in plastic wrap and they can stay in there for up to 2 months. These ice cream sandwiches are totally delicious. The cookies are sturdy enough to hold the ice cream and the entire thing is delicious and perfect for summer.
- 1 c. flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 oz. Fresh April Sprinkles Birthday Mix
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugars. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, scoop 1 and a half scoops per cookie onto a cookie sheet. I was able to make 8 cookies.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are brown but the middle is still soft. Remove from oven and remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- When ready to make the ice cream sandwiches have a clean cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the sprinkles into a shallow dish.
- Place the pint of ice cream on its side and cut it into 4 equal pieces. Quickly place each of the slices on a cookie. Top with a second cookie. Quickly roll the sides of the ice cream into the sprinkles and place the sandwiches on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer. Enjoy within 3 days or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months.
I Scream for Ice Cream Recipes
- Blue Moon Ice Cream by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cardamom Saffron Pistachio Yogurt Pudding Pops by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with Macadamia Nuts by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich by Art of Natural Living
- Nutty Buddy Sundaes by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Watermelon Ice Cream Slices by A Day in the Life on the Farm