As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I’ve got another tasty brunch recipe for you today! This is another savory recipe and one that I don’t often make but I really should. It’s something I would have for lunch or even dinner but not something I’d usually make for a brunch. However, I think any type of bread is perfect for brunch so this fits right in.
This recipe is similar to a pepperoni pizza and who doesn’t love pizza? It’s a braided pepperoni bread so not only does it taste like pizza but it’s really pretty as well. It’s also great for a large brunch because it can be cut into pieces, picked up with your hands, and eaten. I like brunch foods that you can eat with your hands because often times during a brunch people are up walking around and mingling instead of sitting down for a full meal.
The recipe starts with a yeast pizza dough. I used Red Star Platinum yeast because it gives a beautiful rise to dough and since this dough only has one rise I wanted it to be a good one. After the rise the dough in punched down and rolled out. Then it’s filled with the yummy pizza toppings!
I actually created a pretty awesome video to show you exactly how it’s done. I’ve made a few videos in the past where I talk and give all the directions but this one is a step by step look at how to make it and has the ingredients list right on it. Let me know what you think of it because I’d like to make more in the future!
Once the dough is filled I braided it and put it in the oven. It will rise a bit more in the oven and get golden brown. I like to slice it on a diagonal when it comes out to make it look better and serve it with a side of marinara sauce. This bread was so good that my husband and I almost ate an entire loaf of it for lunch. I think we had about 1/3 of it left and we ate it for dinner. I’d recommend making a double batch because this bread will go quickly at your next brunch!
For the dough:
- 2 c. flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 package) Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 c. warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the bread:
- 1/2 c. marinara sauce
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. pepperoni
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- To make the dough combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the water and olive oil.
- Mix until the flour in incorporated and a dough has formed.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for 5-7 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Punch the dough down to release the air. Turn the dough onto a lightly flour surface and roll into a rectangle that is 14” by 8”.
- Cut 8 strips on each side of the long side of the dough, about 2 inches deep.
- Spread marinara sauce in the middle of the dough where it isn't cut. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce. Place 1/3 cup of pepperoni on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Starting at one end of the dough, fold the first strip from the left over top of the filling and onto the right side. Then take the first strip on the right over top of the filling and onto the left side. Continue alternating sides until the dough looks like it is braided over top of the filling.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut into 12 slices. Serve with marinara dipping sauce.
Pizza Dough recipe fromYummy Addiction