As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Let’s talk lunch. Whenever I’m at work my go to lunches are leftovers, a sandwich, a yogurt, school lunch, or a microwaveable meal. I only get 30 minutes on my lunch break and I’d say at least once a week I have to spend it with a student either as a reward or because they are having difficulties. So when the weekend comes I like to enjoy my lunch and have something a bit different.
If I go out to eat on the weekends my typical lunch is either a grilled chicken salad with fries or a buffalo chicken salad or sub. While I love both of these they are a little pricey if I buy them when I am out. I often make grilled chicken salads with fries when I’m at home but I rarely make a buffalo chicken sandwich because they are just so good at the restaurants I go to.
However, since I’m all about saving money and making things myself I thought I better try and find a buffalo chicken recipe that I really liked. Since I don’t have a deep fryer that really isn’t an option for me. That means if I make buffalo chicken it either has to be pan fried or in the oven.
After some trial and error I found the best combination for the breading. It’s one that sticks to the chicken and can be coated in buffalo sauce. I also found that a combination of pan frying the chicken then finishing it up in the oven is the best way to make the chicken crispy without deep frying.
This buffalo chicken sandwich was really good. I used a firm Kaiser roll for the base of it because I knew it would hold up to the saucy chicken. The chicken was spicy from the buffalo sauce and cooked perfectly. I added some cheese and lettuce and it was finished! This is definitely a great way to enjoy a buffalo chicken sandwich at home without a deep fryer.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about ¼ lb. each)
- ½ c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 c. flour
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ½ c. buffalo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- Lettuce and tomato
- Blue Cheese dressing
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a wire rack inside of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl combine the milk, eggs, garlic powder, and pepper.
- In a second shallow bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Dredge the chicken through the flour then dip in the egg mixture allowing any excess to drip off. Then dip the chicken back into the flour mixture.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil in the pan. Pan fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until they are browned.
- Remove from the pan and place on the wire rack inside the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the buffalo sauce melt the butter in a large bowl (that has a lid) in the microwave. Add the buffalo sauce and garlic cloves and mix well.
- Place the crispy chicken in the bowl with the buffalo sauce, cover with the lid, and gently shake to coat.
- Place a chicken breast on each of the buns and top with lettuce, tomato, and blue cheese dressing if desired.
A Hezzi-D original Recipe