This post is sponsored in conjunction with #FallFlavors Week. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Tender butternut squash cupcakes topped with creamy salted caramel frosting taste like fall in a cupcake!
I will be the first to admit that butternut squash is never one of my go to vegetables. It takes a while to cook, the flavor is a little bland, and I haven’t found many recipes that use it that wow me.
However, I love using it in baked goods because it tastes really similar to pumpkin but with a bit of nuttiness to it. Jazzed up with spices it’s delicious in cakes, cupcakes, and cookies.
I received a butternut squash in my box of produce from Melissa’s Produce and immediately started thinking about cupcakes. I knew to start off I had to get it down to a puree so the first step was to cook it. While you can certainly roast it in the oven I went the easy way and cut it into cubes and steamed it in a steamer bag in the microwave.
After cooking the squash you puree it in a food processor or blender. I always add a little bit of water to make it blend more smoothly. Then you combine the butternut squash puree with spices, butter, and Dixie Crystals granulated and brown sugars. I always like to add in a bit of vanilla to give it a hint of added flavor and mixed in vanilla bean paste from Taylor and Colledge.
One that is mixed together you mix in the dry ingredients and put the cupcakes into muffin cups. Then you bake them. Once they are cooled you can start on the salted caramel buttercream frosting.
The frosting pairs well with the cupcakes because the cupcakes are lightly sweetened but have a lot of different spices in them. The frosting is sweet but the sea salt balances it out perfectly. The first bite tastes like fall and it’s delicious!
Recipe adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures
For the cupcakes:
For the buttercream frosting:
Recipe adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n’ Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & College, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own. The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.