As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
A tasty one pan meal made with peppery potatoes, red onion wedges, fat-based sourdough croutons, crispy bacon, and juicy chicken.
In case I haven’t told you I started a sourdough started named Virgil Flours in May of this year. It was was of those things that I’ve wanted to do for years but I finally had the time to actually do it in May. Every week I pull out Virgil and make something with him whether it’s a sourdough discard recipe or an actual sourdough bread loaf.
While we are absolutely loving all of the recipes I can make with a sourdough starter sometimes we have an overwhelming amount of bread in the house. This means that at times some goes to waste. So I started looking for recipes that use sourdough bread in them in an effort to use up the last portion of a loaf.
I found this recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken with Sourdough Croutons and Bacon. I’m all for the one pot or one pan meals because they are just so easy. You put everything on the sheet pan and bake it until it’s cooked.
I wasn’t sure about putting raw bacon on the cookie sheet but as long as you cook it for the whole time it ends up fine. I found that making sure it is actually touching the sheet pan helps to cook it. You can’t really cook it ahead of time because the bacon grease is what drips onto sourdough pieces and gives them amazing flavor.
This meal took me about 15 minutes to prep and then I just put it in the oven and forgot about it. Because it has chicken and bacon and potatoes it makes an entire meal. I also added in some veggies while it was cooking. I loved that I didn’t have to worry about making something extra on the side.
I loved the flavor the sourdough croutons got from the bacon. You just can’t get that flavor any other way. The chicken was juicy and the potatoes were perfectly cooked. This will be on our menu a lot whenever we have extra sourdough bread in the house!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- If after 30 minutes the bacon seems like it isn’t going to cook don’t be afraid to pick it out and put it in the microwave for a minute or two to start getting it crispy. I actually threw it on foil in the Air Fryer for 3 minutes. I want to note I only did this with about half the bacon, the other half was crispy.
- After 20 minutes of baking feel free to add green beans, broccoli florets, or asparagus to the pan and continue cooking to add a green veggies to the mix.
- While sourdough is really the best bread to use here you can substitute another hearty bread in its place.
- 1/2 sourdough boule, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into quarters and then into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 2 T. cold butter, diced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 t. oregano
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 6 small chicken breasts or 3 large chicken breasts cut in half
- 1/2 lb. broccoli florets, asparagus, or green beans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the bread, bacon, potato, onion, butter, olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread in an even layer.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the bread mimxture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring once after about 20 minutes. At this point you can add the green vegetable to the sheet pan if desired.
- Cook until the bread is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine
Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Nuggets by Books n’ Cooks
- Chicken Fajitas by That Recipe
- Cream Cheese Spinach Stuffed Chicken by Making Miracles
- Creamy Artichoke Chicken Breast by Art of Natural Living
- One Skillet Chicken and Noodles. by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Oven Fried Chicken Thighs by Cheese Curd In PAradise
- Panko-Crusted Chicken with White Wine & Thyme Cream Sauce by Sweet Beginnings
- Pesto Crusted Oven Fried Chicken by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Sourdough Croutons and Bacon by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy by Blogghetti
- Tandoori Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice by The Freshman Cook