I am one of those people who always buys way too much fruit at the grocery store. Whenever I see fruit on sale I buy it because we eat a lot of it throughout the week. However, it’s hard to know how long fruit from the market will last so I might get 3 or 4 days out of it one week but 6 or 7 days out of it another week.
For that reason I like buying bananas. I know that if the bananas start going bad I can always use them to make banana bread. I have a banana bread recipe I’ve been using for at least 10 years and it’s awesome. It’s a simple recipe and uses ingredients that I always have on hand in my cupboard.
Last week I was in the mood for brown butter. I don’t know what it is about the butter, maybe the slightly nutty and caramel flavor, but every now and then I actually crave it. Since it isn’t good by itself I wanted to bake something with it. I just made brown butter cookies a few weeks ago so I didn’t want to do that again.
Then I looked into the fruit basket. There were 3 bananas starting to turn brown and baking to baked into something sweet and delicious. I decided to make brown butter banana bread and then things got crazy from there.
As I was looking for the flower I noticed the container of oats and thought oats, brown butter, and bananas sounds really good together. While getting the butter out I spilled a bag of butterscotch chips and just knew they wanted to hop into the batter as well.
The Butterscotch Brown Butter Banana Bread with Oats was amazing. This isn’t your ordinary banana bread and it definitely isn’t healthy but man is it delicious. The oats give the bread some added texture while the brown butter adds a nutty flavor and the butterscotch chips melt into the bread. It’s a great dessert or it’s perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning.
My husband took one bite and the look on his face was pure happiness. He looked at me and asked if there was brown butter and butterscotch in it. When I told him there was he told me it was the best banana bread I had ever made. I had to agree with him. The ingredients were just a great combination that turned into an even better bread.
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- ⅔ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 /2 c. flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ c. oats
- 2 bananas
- ½ c. butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small skillet heat the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter begins to brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and brown sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and oats. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the bananas, mixing well. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe