When someone says healthy dessert I often pause because in reality this is an oxymoron. Most people consider dessert as something sweet that you wouldn't eat every day and they are often full of fat and calories. I was trying to think of a healthy dessert that would be appropriate for a brunch.
I thought of maybe making a fresh fruit pie but pie crust is definitely not healthy. Then I thought of going with a berry crisp which I could make healthier but I was really stuck. After searching through hundreds of recipes what I came up with is Caramelized Cinnamon Bananas over Yogurt.
In this case the yogurt can be Greek yogurt or frozen yogurt depending on just how healthy you want the dessert to be or how warm it it outside. If you choose plain Greek yogurt it's going to be pretty healthy while if you choose vanilla Greek yogurt or frozen yogurt it's going to be a little less healthy.
The caramelized cinnamon bananas are awesome. While they are sweetened and do have a little butter in them I'm saying that if you use them in moderation on top of your yogurt it's still fairly healthy. The bananas are sauteed in butter, honey, and cinnamon until they get a sticky brown coating on both sides.
The bananas end up having just a bit of a crunch and are seriously delicious. You could put them over top of ice cream, waffles, pancakes, or even use them to stuff a crepe.
- 2 bananas, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. butter
- 2 T. honey
- 2 c. Greek yogurt or frozen yogurt
- In a medium skillet combine the butter, cinnamon, and honey. Cook over medium high heat until melted and combined.
- Add the banana slices and cook for 5 minutes or until the bottoms start to caramelize and turn golden brown.
- Flip the bananas and cook for another 5 minutes until the other side is browned.
- Remove from the pan.
- Place yogurt in 4 bowls and top with the bananas.
Recipe from One Little Project
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 14g
Appetizer and Salad Recipes
- Peach, Prosciutto and Mozzarella Skewers by Love & Confections
Bread, Grains, and Cereal Recipes
- Cheese Danish by The Redhead Baker
- Matcha Souffle Pancakes by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Sausage and Gravy Biscuit Cups by Big Bears Wife
- Sourdough Pancakes with Hibiscus Syrup by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Bacon, Egg and Roasted Asparagus Salad by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Enchiladas by Kate's Recipe Box
- Vegan Omelette by Happily Curated Chaos
Fruit and Veggie Recipes
- Caramelized Cinnamon Bananas over Yogurt by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Tropical Fruit Salad by Caroline's Cooking
Meat, Poultry, and Fish Recipes
- Bacon And Eggs Benedict Brunch Burger by Nik Snacks
- Corned Beef & Potato Hash by Amy's Cooking Adventures