As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
My favorite espresso drink is a caramel macchiato. We don’t have many places in our very small town that serve espresso and those that do are good for a fix but I have to drive an hour to get a good coffee. So when I go out of town the first thing I do is stop at a coffee shop and grab a non fat caramel macchiato. Yum!
Since I can’t get my favorite coffee drink at home I decided to use the flavors in the drink to make a cookie! I love experimenting with flavors in my baking and Caramel Macchiato Cookies sounded like a winner to me. I knew they would need to have espresso, vanilla, and caramel in them so they would taste just like the beverage.
I started with a sugar cookie mix. That’s right, I used a mix and simply doctored it up to make the cookie I wanted. I added in espresso powder and a healthy amount of vanilla. Then I mixed everything together, rolled the dough into balls, and put them on my T-Fal AirBake Natural Large Cookie Sheet. I love this cookie sheet because it is large, it cleans up easily, and the double layer technology enhances baking performance meaning better browning and no burning! It’s a great baking sheet for those that make a lot of cookies.
I popped the cookies into the oven and waited. When they came out I drizzled caramel sauce and melted chocolate over top. I thought they looked really pretty and they certainly smelled like coffee. I grabbed myself a small plate of the cookies along with a cup of coffee and headed to the table for a late night treat.
These cookies are delicious. While they taste like coffee, it isn’t overpowering. They caramel and chocolate add a bit of sweetness on top. These are the perfect cookie to have with a cup of coffee and I didn’t miss my Caramel Macchiato nearly as much when I was eating one of these!
- 2 teaspoon espresso powder (or instant espresso)
- 1 Tablespoon hot water
- 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. caramel bits
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the espresso powder and hot water. Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the cookie mix, flour, butter, vanilla, eggs, and espresso mixture. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 1 minute before removing the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small microwave safe bowl combine the caramels and heavy cream. Heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until the caramel is melted.
- Drizzle the caramel over top of the cookies and sprinkle with sea salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl place the chocolate chips.. Heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate over top of the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to sit for 15 minutes to let the caramel and chocolate firm up. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tammi Lee Tips
I received this cookie sheet to use for my holiday baking but all opinions are 100% my own.