As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I feel like the holidays are closing in on us and I still have so much to do! The tree is up and I have most of the presents bought but I don’t have anything wrapped and I have a lot of Christmas cookie orders. I decided not to do decorated cookies this year and I think that was a smart move. They are just regular cookies but I have about 30 dozen to make which is a lot of cookies.
I’ve been in the baking mood and in addition to all the cookies I need to make I’ve been working on fudge, holiday cupcakes, and quick breads. This month I was challenged by Barleans to make a holiday baked good using one of their products. I chose to use the Barleans Butter Flavored Organic Coconut Oil because it’s a great product! I used it in some cookies and bread last month and it was delicious. It has all the healthy benefits of coconut oil but with a great butter flavor.
So when coming up with a recipe I started thinking of holiday flavors. I recently made gingerbread bars with eggnog frosting and they were a huge hit. Every bite I took tasted of the holidays. So I decided to turn those bars into a festive holiday cupcake!
I started with a gingerbread cupcake filled with molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and the Butter Flavored Organic Coconut Oil. As they cooked in the oven they smelled amazing. These cupcakes baked perfectly. They puffed up over the edge but didn’t get too big and they set up well.
As they cooled I whipped up an eggnog buttercream frosting to put on top of them. I piped it onto the cupcakes and sprinkled them with holiday colored sprinkles. To make them even more fun I put these super cute candy snowmen on top! They looked so adorable I almost didn’t want to eat them!
The first bite I took was amazing. The spiced cupcake paired perfectly with the sweet frosting. It not only tasted like Christmas in a cupcake but it looked like it too. I am so happy with how these turned out and can’t wait to make them again this week for my kids at school!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 c. Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 c. molasses
- 1/2 c. milk
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) of butter
- 2-3 c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Holiday Sprinkles
- Snowman candies (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the melted coconut oil and brown sugar until combined. Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla and molasses and mix until well combined.
- Add half the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture and mix well. Add the milk and mix until it is incorporated into the mixture. Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with the cupcake mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack until cooled completely.
- To make the frosting place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar a half cup at a time until desired consistency is reached. Stir in the eggnog and vanilla. If needed add more powdered sugar.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and immediately sprinkle with the sprinkles. Top with candy snowmen if desired.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
I received compensation in exchange for writing this blog post. Although this post is sponsored by Barleans, all opinions are my own.