As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I’m a total carb girl. I know that low carb and keto are what people are doing these days but I think they are for the birds. Sure people look great when they are on them but I worry about what happens when you stop following those diets because almost everyone does stop at some point. I don’t have to worry about that though because I like carbs way too much.
My absolute favorite food in the word is pasta. I could eat buttered noodles with Parmesan cheese just about every day. It’s my comfort food, my bad day food, and my I’m home alone and need to eat food. I also can’t pass up a bread basket because bread is delicious. Then there are potatoes, fries, crackers, and pizza. I love these foods too much to give them up.
Some days I just want some bread. I’m not talking about a slice of white sandwich bread, I’m talking good bread. I can go to the store and buy an artisan loaf and simple cut off a piece to enjoy with a touch of butter. There’s nothing like homemade bread but I don’t often have the time to make it, let it rise, and bake it but I do love it.
Whenever I want bread and I don’t have it there are some shortcuts. You can make tons of different forms of bread using refrigerated biscuit dough, crescent rolls, pizza crust, or frozen bread dough. I try to keep one or two of these on hand at all times so I can always make some type of bread product.
In fact, this recipe for Cheesy Mexican Pull Apart Bread called for refrigerated biscuits but I substituted in crescent rolls because that’s what I had in the refrigerator. I’m sure it tasted different but it sure was good. It’s basically the crescent rolls, two types of cheese, butter, and seasonings baked in a round pan and served hot.
The bread is gooey from the cheese and has great flavor. The green chilies add some heat to the bread. You can serve this with salsa or queso to dip it in or just enjoy it plain. My husband and I liked it so much we pretty much just had this for lunch one day. It’s simple, it’s tasty, and it’s great for an appetizer or snack.
- 2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 c. Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 T. butter, melted
- 1 (4.5oz) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch round pan with cooking spray.
- Take the crescent rolls out of the package and leave in the roll. Cut each roll in half length wise. Then slice each half into 8 pieces so you end up with 32 pieces. Roll them into balls and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the Mexican cheese, mozzarella cheese, butter, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Add in the crescent roll balls and toss to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with salsa or sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Nest of Poisies