Summer is here and it is hot! I haven't felt like cooking and all I want to eat are things that are cold. That means sandwiches and salads for lunch and ice cream or popsicles after dinner. I can't keep running out to the local ice cream place (it costs too much!) so I decided I needed to make a cool treat myself.
Initially I was going to make ice cream but I didn't have any cream in the refrigerator and I didn't feel like running out. After taking stock of the ingredients in my refrigerator and freezer I came up with the idea for Cherry Limeade Popsicles. I had frozen cherries in the freezer and fresh limes in the refrigerator.
I just did a very simple popsicle, nothing fancy. I combined fresh squeezed lime juice and simple syrup in bowl. Then I chopped up a bunch of the frozen cherries and put them in the popsicle molds. I poured the lime juice over top of the popsicle mold and froze them for several hours.
The popsicles were really tasty! They were sweet and tart with big chunks of cherries in them. They looked nice too with the light pink popsicle studded with big dark red cherries. Since they were so simple to make I'll be making them again soon!
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. fresh squeezed lime juice (about 6 limes)
- ½ c. lemon lime soda
- 2 c. frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat. Cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the simple syrup (sugar water), lime juice, and lemon lime soda. Set aside.
- Divide the cherries between 4 popsicle molds.
- Pour the lemon lime mixture over top of the cherries in the molds. Put the sticks in the molds and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from popsicle molds and enjoy!