This month the Creative Cookie Exchange is sharing cookie recipes that are perfect for a picnic. This means cookies that travel well and do well out in the heat. I have so many amazing cookie recipes but the first thing I thought of for a picnic was sugar cookies. I love a good sugar cookie.
I make a lot of decorated sugar cookies but I didn't want to make something that takes hours. For a picnic I want something I can make, put in the oven, and get out in no time. These soft brown sugar cookies are perfect for that.
In fact, the dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours but can be refrigerated over night so these are great to make the night before a picnic then bake the day of. These cookies are filled with brown sugar and are super soft in the middle. They are firm on the outside but not crispy.
Since they are a different type of sugar cookie they hold up well in the heat. They also travel well since the edges are firm. Whip up a batch of these cookies, put them in a container, and take them to your next picnic!
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. cornstarch
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 t. salt
- ¾ c. butter, softened
- 1¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 T. vanilla
- ⅓ c. sugar, for rolling
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the egg and mix well. Mix in the vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Pour the sugar in a shallow dish.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and then roll in the sugar.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press the back of a spoon into the center of each cookie. Bake for 3-4 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
The theme this month is Pack for a Picnic Cookies--any kind of cookie that sounds great for a picnic! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Browned Butter Lemon Cookies with Macadamia Nuts from The Spiced Life
- Gingham Picnic Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Demerara Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Naan Khatai - Indian Shortbread Cookies from Spiceroots
- Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies from Our Good Life
- Key Lime Coolers from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Raisin Biscuits from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Soft Brown Sugar Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Cashew Butter Bites from Magnolia Days
- Blondies from A Baker's House
- Nutella Energy Bites from Study at Home Mama