Today I had a snow day. I really hate snow days. Why? Because I hate the cold, I hate the snow, and I really don't like missing school. I wish it could just snow on the weekends! I think it's funny how much the students love snow days but I think it's because they don't really understand that we have to make these days up in June.
Usually on snow days I spend the morning in my pajamas working on the computer, doing laundry, and getting things done around the house. Then I finally take a shower and get dressed. After that 9 times out of 10 I start baking.
Since it's close to Valentine's Day I thought it would be fun to start doing some experimenting with holiday baking. I've had this picture of a pink velvet Bundt Cake in my head for the last few weeks. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I figured a snow day was the perfect time to figure it out!
I started with a box of white cake mix. I often keep cake mixes on hand just for this occasion. I put it in my mixing bowl, added the ingredients, and then just stared at it. I dropped in a few drops of pink food coloring and mixed it well.
While I was stirring it I had an idea. As the white turned to pink I thought of cherry vanilla. I looked in the pantry and found a bottle of cherry flavoring. I dropped in the cherry flavoring and then added some vanilla. I mixed it together and then poured it into a Bundt Pan.
When the cake came out it smelled wonderful. Not only was it nice and pink but it smelled of cherries. I waited for it to cool and melted some pink and white candy melts. When the cake was finally cool I drizzled the candy over top of the cake. It looked awesome!
If I had any maraschino cherries I would have put them on top of the cake but I was all out. Instead I cut myself a slice and was awed but the gorgeous bright pink color in the middle of the cake. It was just perfect! The cake was moist, spongy, and tasted lightly of cherries and vanilla. I think this will be the perfect cake to give to my sweetheart on Valentine's Day.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 c. water
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ c. oil
- ½ teaspoon pink food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cherry flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ c. white chocolate candy melts
- ½ c. pink candy melts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, water, eggs, and oil. Mix for 1-2 minutes or until well combined.
- Stir in the pink food coloring and mix well.
- Add in the cherry flavoring and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan. Flip the pan onto a plate and cool completely.
- Place the white candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until completely melted. Place in a zip top baggie, snip off the end, and drizzle over top of the cake.
- Place the pink candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until completely melted. Place in a zip top baggie, snip off the end, and drizzle over top of the cake.
- Allow the candy to hard for 15 minutes before serving.
A Hezzi-D original recipe