As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I was never a big fan of Chicken Pot Pie growing up. I’m not sure if it was because we often bought frozen ones that used frozen vegetables and I just didn’t like them or if it was because of the peas. I swear peas I just can’t stand peas which is hilarious because my son gobbles them up like crazy.
In any case, as an adult I do enjoy a good Chicken Pot Pie on a cold winter night. While I still don’t like peas, I’m open to eating them if they are in something and I can’t really taste them. I actually made the best chicken pot pie I’ve ever had as a freezer meal when we were getting ready for J to be born. The crust is flaky, the filling is awesome, and the whole pie was complete comfort food.
The one thing I’m not thrilled about now is that the crust of a pot pie takes some time to make and it adds a ton of calories. So when I saw this Chicken Pot Pie Soup I was super excited to try it! It’s basically the inside of the chicken pot pie thinned out and totally delicious as a soup.
I liked how quickly this soup came together. It doesn’t need to simmer for too long so it can come together in under an under and still has an awesome flavor. I made a batch of my quick biscuits on the side to top the soup with which was a great idea.
This Chicken Pot Pie Soup is rich, creamy, and the ultimate comfort food in a bowl of soup! While I do think it’s a little heavy on the peas, I ended up fishing them out of my bowl and my son happily ate every single one I put on his tray. My husband thought it was really flavorful and we ended up eating it for dinner one day then lunch the very next day. So if you like pot pie but don’t want the hassle and calories give this soup a try!
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 10 oz. frozen peas
- 2 c. baby potatoes, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal chicken seasoning (or steak seasoning if that's what you have)
- salt and pepper
- Place the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add in the chicken and saute for 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Put the garlic in the pan and saute 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and heavy cream.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture into the pot with the chicken and vegetables and mix well to combine.
- Add in the peas, potatoes, and Montreal seasoning. Stir.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the soup, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Recipe adapted from Dash of Sanity
National Soup Swap Day Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- French Onion Soup by The Redhead Baker
- German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
- Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
- Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy