I am excited to be part of a new monthly group featuring salads called The Salad Bar! Every month we’ll have a theme and then we will be making side salads or entrees salads around the theme. I can’t wait to see what everyone has made for our first month. The theme is berries which is so fitting for June!
I didn’t even have to think about what salad I wanted to make. About 10 years ago I worked part time at a bar where we only served food on Sundays. The other bartender would choose something to make and that would be the only thing we served on that particular Sunday. About once a month she made these awesome grilled chicken salads with loads of vegetables, strawberries, and a soy vinaigrette. Her vinaigrette came from a bottle but I wanted to make my own version.
This was always one of my favorite salads. It looks pretty and I loved the combination of chicken, sweet strawberries, crunchy vegetables, and the salty, slightly sweet soy vinaigrette. I used cheddar cheese in these salads but I think Gruyere would have been a better choice and is what I will use for next time.
Chicken Salads with Strawberries and Soy Vinaigrette (a Hezzi-D original)
For the salad:
4 c. mixed greens
1/2 c. strawberries, stems removed and quartered
1/4 c. red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. broccoli florets
1/4 c. carrots, diced
2 T. cheddar cheese
2 T. croutons
For the dressing:
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. low sodium soy sauce
1 t. Italian seasonings
1/2 t. black pepper
1-2 t. honey
For the chicken:
1 lb. chicken breasts, sliced in half
1/3 c. orange juice
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 t. rosemary
3/4 t. black pepper
1 t. paprika
3 garlic cloves minced
1. In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the dressing. Whisk together and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Place the chicken in a gallon sized baggie. Pour the orange juice, soy sauce, rosemary, pepper, paprika, and garlic cloves over top of it. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. In a large bowl combine the mixed greens, onion, broccoli, carrot, and cheese. Toss to combine and then divide onto 2 plates. Place the quartered strawberries around the outside edge of the salad and then sprinkle the croutons over the top. Set aside.
4. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place in the skillet. Discard remaining marinade.
5. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side or until a thermometer reads 170 degrees. Remove from the pan and slice into thin slices. Place the chicken on top of the salads.
6. Remove the dressing from the refrigerator, whisk it together to combine, and pour over top of the salads.