I ripped out a recipe for chicken with tomatoes and pan sauce several months ago. It has sat on my dresser ever since. I look at it every week when I meal plan and think I’ll get to it next week. I’m not sure why I kept putting this dish off, it certainly doesn’t have many ingredients.
When I saw that the theme for #SundaySupper was skinny recipes I finally got around to making it! I went to aerobics after work and by the time I got home I wanted something that was hot but could be made in under 30 minutes. This chicken was it. I didn’t have any fresh tomatoes like the recipe called for but I did just buy a can of whole, organic tomatoes so I used that instead which saved me time and a step.
I mashed the tomatoes in a bowl with the seasonings and then cooked up the chicken. Shallots and garlic are sauteed in a pan and then red wine vinegar is used to deglaze the pan. The smell was incredible. I then added in the tomatoes and simmered it down until it thickened. This meal was simple but elegant. The chicken was flavorful and the addition of the tomatoes and pan sauce was delightful. Plus it was all ready in under 30 minutes.
Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce (adapted from Bon Appetit)
1 (28 oz) can organic whole tomatoes, drained
2 T. olive oil, divided
2 T. herbes de Provence
1 t. sea salt
1 t. black pepper
2 T. red wine
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. red wine vinegar
3 T. parsley leaves,chopped
1 T. tarragon leaves, chopped
1. In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, herbes de Provence, seal salt, pepper, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Mash with a fork so that the tomatoes begin to break up. Set aside.
2. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes on each side or until it’s cooked through. Remove from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board.
3. Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and add shallot and garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the tomatoes to the pan and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Slice the chicken. Divide the chicken onto plates and spoon tomatoes and sauce over top. Garnish with parsley and tarragon.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
What a list! It shows how healthy can be delicious too. There is no need to sacrifice flavor when you eat right. What is your favorite way to incorporate good nutrition in your life?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.