This month I'm participating in a new dessert challenge hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain. Each month two ingredients will be chosen and everyone will bake something using those two ingredients. This month the ingredients were cherries and chocolate; perfect for the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday. I had so many ideas I didn't even know where to begin.
I made chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes before and planned on making a cherry version but when the day came to make them I decided on cookies instead. I made a basic dough then I divided it into two and made one a cherry dough and the other a chocolate cherry dough. I topped half with heart shaped marshmallow and the other half with a chocolate covered cherry.
Even though they were both made from the same dough the taste of each was very distinct. I loved the look of the ones with the marshmallow and chocolate drizzle but I was drawn to the chocolate covered cherry on the other way. Either way the kids at school loved both of them! These would be the perfect treat to give to someone special on Valentine's Day.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies (Two Ways) (cookie base adapted from Alida's Kitchen)
1 ¾ c. flour
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 stick butter, softened
½ c. sugar
½ c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 T. cherry juice
½ c. chopped maraschino cherries
For the cherry cookies:
¼ c. powdered sugar
¼ c. mini chocolate chips
12 maraschino cherries with stems
4 oz. chocolate melts
For the chocolate cookies:
¼ c. cocoa powder
12 Jet-Puffed HeartMallows
2 oz. chocolate melts
1. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add in the egg, vanilla, and cherry juice. Mix well.
3. Add in the dry ingredients slowly, stirring well after each addition. Gently stir in the chopped cherries.
4. Divide the dough in half. To one half of the dough add the powdered sugar and mini chocolate chips. Stir and set aside. To the other half of the dough add in the cocoa powder and mix well.
5. Place both doughs in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, melt the 4 ounces of chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals until it is melted. Dry the maraschino cherries with stems with a paper towels. Dunk the cherries into the melted chocolate one at a time and place on waxed paper to dry.
7. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the doughs from the refrigerator.
8. Roll the dough into 1 inch round balls, roll in sugar, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
9. Let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute then press a heart marshmallow into the center of each of the chocolate cookies or a chocolate covered cherry into the center of each cherry cookie. Remove the cookie to a wire rack to finish cooling.
10. Once the cookies have cooled heat the remaining chocolate melts in 30 seconds intervals in the microwave. Spoon into a zip top bag. Snip off the tip of the bag and drizzle over top of the marshmallows on the chocolate cookies.