It's summer time and I love taking walks outside in the sunshine, working in my garden, and cooking delicious foods. I always head home to my parents several times in the summer because of all the family birthdays and being at home makes me feel nostalgic.
Being at my parents in the summertime makes me think of pudding pops. Did you ever have pudding pops in the summer? My mom used to buy them and put them in the freezer then my brother and I could grab one whenever we were hot and hungry. We usually bought the plain vanilla, plain chocolate, and the half chocolate/half vanilla ones. The half and half ones were always my favorite. Whenever I see a pudding pop it takes me back to summers with my brother at my parents house.
Initially I was going to make half chocolate and half vanilla pudding pops but then I went to a farm and picked 5 pounds of strawberries. They were staring up at me from the refrigerator so I decided to make chocolate covered strawberry pudding pops. I wanted to layer creamy chocolate pudding with fluffy vanilla cream studded with strawberries.
The chocolate pudding layer was simple to make as I just whipped up a batch of boxed chocolate fudge pudding. For the strawberry layer I whipped some heavy cream with sugar and vanilla then added in a bunch of chopped strawberries. I ended up piping the chocolate pudding into the ice pop molds so it didn't get all over the mold. Then I gently put the strawberry layer on top of that and piped on more chocolate pudding.
I froze the pops for 4 hours and when they came out they were perfect! I loved seeing the distinct layers of chocolate and strawberries. They were so creamy and delicious and took me back to summers at home with my friends. I can't wait to make other flavored pudding pops for next time!
- 1 box Chocolate Fudge Pudding mix
- 1 ½ c. cold milk
- 1 c. strawberries, chopped
- ¼ c. sugar, divided
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 8 ice pop molds
- In a large bowl combine the Chocolate Fudge Pudding mix and the cold milk. Whisk for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl toss together the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add the heavy cream and remaining sugar to a chilled metal bowl. Using a mixer, whip the whipping cream until it is thick and peaks form.
- Fold ½ cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate pudding. Set aside.
- Add the strawberries to the whipped cream and gently mix together.
- Place the pudding in a piping bag. Pipe 1 inch of chocolate pudding in the bottom of each of 8 ice pop molds. Carefully spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the strawberry cream mixture on top of the chocolate pudding then pipe enough chocolate pudding on top to almost fill the mold. Bang the mold on the counter several times to remove air bubbles then add the sticks.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until the pops are frozen.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe