We eat tofu once a week. It's a great vegetarian protein and can be cooked with an array of spices. While I usually make Asian food with tofu, every now and then I get a little crazy and do something different.
Last week when I pulled the tofu out of the refrigerator I did not want to make Asian food. We had already had Asian twice that week and I was in the mood for something else. As I contemplated what to make, I looked in the cupboard and saw a huge bag of tortilla chips.
In a crazy twist I decided to make tofu nachos. I've never had tofu nachos before and I had no recipe but I just decided to go for it. In the past I've made vegetarian nachos using black beans, refried beans, cheese, peppers, and salsa so I used the same basic principal but added tofu in as a protein.
All I did was chop the tofu up and season it with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. I cooked it in a pan for about 10 minutes in order to firm up the tofu. Then I layered it in a pan with the other nacho ingredients and baked it for 10 minutes.
The resulting nachos were good. My husband and I were both a little worried when they came out of the oven but as soon as we tasted them our worried dissipated. The tofu really just had a Mexican flavor to it and it tasted great with the other items on the nachos. They were hot, crunchy, and tasted great with a little sour cream on top.
Vegetarian Tofu Nachos
Baked nachos made with cumin spiced tofu and other vegetarian ingredients.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 c. tortilla chips
- 1 c. refried beans
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 c. salsa
- 1 c. cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the tofu with the taco seasoning.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the tofu and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the tortilla chips in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add the tofu, refried beans, green chililes, and salsa. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake the nachos for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with sour cream.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
Leave a Reply