As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Did you gasp when you saw the title of my post today? Yes, you did read it correctly. I made cupcake with peanut butter frosting. I know it’s hard to believe but a friend of mine wanted them for her daughter’s birthday so I told her I’d make them. I didn’t tell her that I wouldn’t be able to try the frosting because I don’t eat peanut butter. Thankfully, my fabulous husband was nice enough to taste my frosting for me and let me know how it tasted.
I made a different chocolate cupcake recipe this time and I’m glad I did. This one is firmer and tastes really good. It’s perfect for making a filled cupcake or holding a heavy frosting. The frosting is just a basic buttercream where I substituted peanut butter for the butter. Then I decorated the top with chocolate chips. Simple but delicious.
These are also the perfect holiday treat to keep in the house. I’ve found that kids and adults alike love the chocolate and peanut butter combination.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting (adapted from Betty Crocker’s The Big Book of Cupcakes)
2 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. hot water
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
For the frosting:
1/2 c. peanut butter
3-4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 T. honey
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in 24 muffin cups.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat the butter, applesauce, and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
4. Combine the hot water and cocoa powder. Mix until dissolved.
5. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add in half of the cocoa mixture and mix until incorporated. Mix in the remaining flour and then cocoa powder. Beat until just combined.
6. Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling each one 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Meanwhile, beat the peanut butter with a hand mixer. Add in the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time, until the frosting is thick. Mix in the honey, vanilla, and milk and mix well. Add in additional powdered sugar and milk as needed.
9. Frost the cooled cupcakes with the peanut butter frosting. Decorate with chocolate chips.