This month the reward for my kids at school is an Easter party. We are lucky enough to have all of next week off for spring break so we had our party a week early which was fine by me. I can't wait to have 10 days off work to rest up and relax. I also plan on going to extra aerobics classes at the gym and I'm getting the massage and facial that my husband surprised me with last week 🙂
I always have a lot of fun making themed treats for each of our reward parties. The kids really get a kick out of seeing the things that both I and my instructional assistant Kristin make for them. I already had an idea of what I wanted to make but when I came across these adorable ducks and bunnies made out of chocolate and pretzels I knew I had to give them a try!
Initially I thought that the ducks would be more difficult to make but it turned out it was the bunnies that gave me the most problems. The original recipe calls for edible markers to draw on the details but I had 9, yes NINE, open bags of colored chocolate in the refrigerator so I just used those which worked well.
While these cuties take both time and patience, they aren't very difficult to make. The pretzels get filled with chocolate then are left to harden. Individual colors are heated up and the details are piped on. They make a fun and cute treat that the kids absolutely loved to look at and eat!
Chocolate Pretzel Ducks and Bunnies for Easter (adapted from The Sugar Buzz Pantry)
1 c. yellow chocolate candy melts
1 c. white chocolate candy melts
¼ c. orange chocolate candy melts
¼ c. pink chocolate candy melts
¼ c. black chocolate candy melts (or dark brown if you can't find black)
30 pretzel twists (any size)
1. Place a large sheet of wax paper on the table you will be working on. Place 30 pretzel twists on top leaving a little space in between each one.
2. Melt the yellow chocolate in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals until completely melted. Spoon into a zip top bag, seal, and cut off a corn. Pipe the yellow chocolate into 15 of the pretzel twist, filling in the three holes and covering the connecting pretzel pieces. Repeat with the white chocolate and remaining pretzels. (See picture)
3. Allow the chocolate to harden for 15 minutes.
4. Melt the orange chocolate in the microwave and place in a small zip top bag. Cut only the very corner off of the bag to make a thin tip. Pipe a v shape on the left side of the pretzel to make the beak.
5. Melt the black or dark brown chocolate and place in a zip top bag. Snip off the end. Pipe a dot on each duck for an eye. On the bunnies pipe two eyes and a nose on each one.
6. Melt the pink chocolate in the microwave and place in a zip top bag. Cut off the corner. Pipe above the eyes of the bunny to make the ears. Then pipe below the nose to make a mouth.
7. Allow the chocolate to harden for 15 minutes. Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
Oh, I bet your kids were the coolest at the party!
Oh, that's just so cute! 🙂
These look cute from what I can see 🙂 Bigger pictures for us blind people like me 😉
Adorable and so easy............I wish I was still teaching a culinary class at the local high school. We would definitely make these.
These are adorable! Your kids will love them.
Enjoy your days off!!
This is SUCH a cute idea, I love it!!