This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Want to try the cupcakes that made both my husband and I sneak a second one? Chocolate Raspberry Mocha Cupcakes with fresh raspberry buttercream are quite possibly one of the best chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever made.
I’m not a huge fan of chocolate cupcakes so anytime I make a really good one I’m pretty shocked. I prefer when there is another flavor in with the chocolate and these cupcakes do just that.
Instead of making a classic chocolate cupcake with boiling water which never seems to work for me, I substituted the boiling water for a cup of strong brewed coffee. Since I wanted to make a fruit flavored frosting I brewed a cup of Door County Coffee Raspberry Almond flavored coffee. I could really smell the raspberries and the almond in the coffee.
I often worry when adding flavors to chocolate cupcakes that no one will be able to taste them because chocolate is such a strong flavor. In this case the raspberry and coffee flavors really came through. I could taste a hint of almond but not much of it which was just fine with me.
So I made the chocolate cupcakes with the raspberry almond coffee and they came out perfectly. To make the frosting I boiled raspberries, lemon juice, and sugar together then pressed the mixture through a sieve so that I simply had a sweetened puree.
I added the puree to my butter and mixed until smooth. Then I added in the powdered sugar until the desired consistency was reached and piped it onto the cooled cupcakes.
There are several ways you can decorate these cupcakes but I went with simple. I sprinkled them with sanding sugar and placed a raspberry on top. Then I shaved a chocolate bar over the top to give it a little pop of color.
These cupcakes are out of this world! The chocolate mixed with the raspberry and almond in the cupcake is the perfect combination. Paired with fresh raspberry buttercream it makes for a bright yet decadent treat.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Add the cocoa powder to a mug and then pour the hot coffee on top of it and stir to combine. This will allow the chocolate flavor to combine with the raspberry almond flavor.
- Strawberry, blueberry, or cherry coffee can be substituted for the raspberry coffee. Check out the Door County Coffee Raspberry Almond for some fun flavor ideas! Just make sure to change the frosting flavor as well!
- Toasted almond slices would be a great way to decorate the top of the cupcakes.
- Don’t have a piping bag? Use a zip top baggie! Place the frosting in a baggie, seal the top, cut off the tip, and pipe onto the cupcake.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the cupcakes:
For the frosting:
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wednesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Blueberry Rhubarb Quick Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Bunny Carrot Cakes by Simply Inspired Meals
- Cake Batter Milkshakes by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Carrot Cake Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Chocolate Raspberry Mocha Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Coffee Banana Breakfast Smoothie by Shockingly Delicious
- Coffee Brownies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coffee Chip No Churn Ice Cream by A Savory Feast
- Easy Lemon Cake Mix Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Fairy Cakes by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Pecan Shortbread Bars by Frugal & Fit
- Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream by Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Blogghetti
- Lemon Poppy Seed Madeleines by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Raspberry Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mocha Cake by Fresh April Flours
- Mocha Mint Chocolate Cream Puffs by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Spring Toffee Crack by Jen Around the World